Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband Hub - Router config changes cause it to fail

Steve_P
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I want to question the quality of the Vodafone Hub;
From what I can see is that if I try and change any config setting, the router appears to fail. If I restore the config  back to factory settings, it works to work again;

The changes I am talking about involve:

1) Reducing the DHCP size from .200 down to .100 (Thats not a major change)

2) Setting a small number of devices with Static IP addresses (After the .100 IP address range)

3) Enabling the Split Wi-Fi Bands - so i can force specific devices to only work on the 5GHz band.

As you can see none of the above is going remotely extreme. I'm not doing any fancy port mapping or MAC Address filtering which I would ideally like to do.

The point is that if I make the slightest change to the router factory config it behaves unpredictably, by stopping some devices on the network from working. A standard reset makes no difference. It requires a complete Factory restore of the router, to get the devices connected on Wi-Fi to reconnect. How crazy is that?

I am sure some of you will be thinking, well why play with the router config? Leave it alone and just watch NetFlix etc. But whats the point of having all these features if they don't work.

I tried doing a Firmware Update and that fails as well. I read other posts which suggests my router is the latest version, but who designs the GUI of a Hub to report the firmware update has failed if its the latest version?

To summarise, I have to say I am not impressed at all. I expected more from a company like Vodafone.

Very disappointed indeed!!!

Steve P 😫😭😫

13 REPLIES 13

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

My thoughts are not reduce the range of IP addresses, but do allocate a fixed IP address and even allow certain MAC addresses only.

Hi Clint,

I understand where you are coming from but the fact remains the changes I am making should not cause an issue for the Router, which is the source of my complaint.

Good news, for the moment!  I have received a replacement router and I am able to connect to it using the App feature on my iPhone, which is very promising. I have also enabled Split Wi-Fi and so far the scanner is not disconnecting.

So it would seem there is a fault with the first router, but the fault is not a complete failure, just extremely selective 😆!!!

Regards

Steve

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Steve_P Do let us know if it still plays up when making change as after my last post about wi-fi channels I tried changing it via the app and it completely screwed it up. You could still connect to the wi-fi but speeds dropped to almost nothing. The hard wired ports were still O.K. A reboot cured it but then I remember that is the early days whilst changing it's base address and setting fixed IPs for some of my devices it also "died".

So it will be nice to know if a new router cures your problems completely.

Hi

You lucky man.

I  am currently experiencing a loss of 5ghz wifi and Ethernet, awaiting a new modem/router.

I am failing to get an IP address allocated on both/either, so while the 2.4 ghz works so do I.