Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone THG3000 router IP / Subnet

Ptanser
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have received my router today, ready for switch over next week, and I need to change the default IP address and Subnet Mask, so it fits with my existing network

the range I need to use is a 172.16.0.0 subnet 255.255.0.0 but I cannot seem to change it from 255.255.255.0

can anyone advise

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you set the router to the base address you require, for instance 172.16.0.1, and scroll down and select apply the router will reboot and set the mask automagically.

Edit, no I was completely wrong, just ignore me.

I have tried that I set the router to 172.16.0.5, but the subnet stayed at 255.255.255.0

thanks

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Ptanser - Do you have a Dymanic or Static IP address? I wonder if we gave you a Static IP if this would allow the Subnet Mask to adjust. If you'd like us to give this a go please drop us a message on social media 😊

Hi 

its not the external IP its the internal, but no you have not given me a static IP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'm curious as hell!

Just why do you need to have the router manage a subnet with a 16-bit network prefix?

Without pulling apart the code for the router, it's not even clear that the router would be capable of managing a local network with a 65k range of local addresses - On such a device it'd make sense to implement a 24-bit mask and just use an 8-bit identifier.

I think the last time I used such a network space in a home network was probably back in the days of the old T-Base coaxial networks!

It might just be time to update your local network, but if you really need a 16-bit local address range, then the supplied modem/router is probably not going to be up to the job anyhow! *Just my personal opinion!

I already have an established home network, with various servers

I am not asking the router to provide the IP addresses, as I run a separate DHCP server, hence why I want to change the IP address of the router.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might still struggle as it's not clear that the router is capable of expressing the more than 8 bits of identifying data and the 24 bit fixed prefix.  So it would struggle to express the full range of local IP addresses on it's LAN ports, and I'm not sure that incoming WAN to LAN packets would get their addresses translated correctly either.

*As I don't have access to a VF THG3000, I'm not sure that even with almost everything turned off that it will play happily as just a network gateway (the old HHG2500 certainly wouldn't).  It really sounds as though you are expecting a pretty basic home targetted router to be capable of much more professional tasks!