cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wired internet to PC in study, but no connection via wi-fi on TV'S/Firestick/Laptop in other rooms

Davegrekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently subscribed to Vodafone superfast 2 and set up Wired internet to PC in study which gives excellent connection , but I cannot gain any  connection via wi-fi on TV'S/Firestick/Laptop in other rooms, do I need extra equipment or will my pc have to be disconnected from wired connection to enable wifi throughout the house .

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay really have to play captain obvious here, but I assume when you've replaced your previous broadband with the Vodafone broadband, you have gone around all the devices on your network and changed the SSID and password on them (or changed those on the router to the same as your last device).

I know it sounds obvious, and I'm genuinely not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but it is something I've seen people overlook!

Understood, no offence taken......yes each and every device has had correct SSID and pertinent password(s) applied , just mystified as I assumed upon setup of my Vodafone router following the detailed instructions it would have allowed ethernet coonection to PC and wifi to all other wifi devices simultaneously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What you've done should 100% work!

You might want to try using a phone app called WiFi Analyzer (or similar) to see if the router is broadcasting anything, because if nothing is able to access the connection via WiFi, then it sounds as though you've a faulty router, which is not something tech support can even test remotely!

*As an afterthought, I don't know if the new router works the same as the old one, but the WiFi button used to be multi-functional!  A quick press turned the routers WPS (auto-connect) function on, but a longer press turned the WiFi off/on.  Not a clever idea to start with and even worse since it was poorly documented!

Your afterthought is interesting, maybe I'll try a reset and see if anything changes .