cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Intermittant broadband/landline fault - how can it be solved?

simonind
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've been battling with a flakey broadband connection since 12th December. After over a year of reliable service our connection started dropping intermittently, sometimes every couple of minutes, resulting in remote working or streaming content becoming impossible.

We've had two visits from OpenReach, the second resulting in the installation of a new Master Socket, however the fault wasn't occurring during either visit so they couldn't diagnose a problem. 3 hours after leaving the connection started dropping again so I've re-opened the issue with Vodafone support, who will call me back tomorrow afternoon to tell me the next step.

I've monitored the SNR margin, seeing it drop to zero when the connection is lost and the FEC and CRC error counts both of which suggest errors on the line although they were low when the engineer was present. I've run a Quiet Line test on 17070 and there is sometimes noise and crackling on the line although this doesn't always correlate with a dropped connection. The connection is reducing in speed with each reconnect (currently down to 59Mbps from 79) but that doesn't appear to guarantee stability.

Whilst I expect another OpenReach visit to result from me reopening the case I'm not confident that will resolve the issue, especially if it's not occuring during the visit. Is there any other course of action? Can some diagnostics be run on the line over an extented period to try and figure out what's going on? 

Any advice on this would be appreciated, I don't want to go back to Virgin but this sort of issue was the reason I switched to them previously.

Thanks

Simon

3 REPLIES 3

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @simonind, thanks for getting in touch. We'd love to help get you up to speed. To do this, we'll need to access your account and run some diagnostics on your line. You can find more information on getting in touch here.

Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker. 

Andypop2406
1: Seeker

I am getting the same issue  ever since I joined Vodafone from BT Infinity. I have tried going through the remediation a number of times with Vodafone agents, but the problem just persists.

The signal strength is poor, quality of the connection is often flaky and connection just drops randomly.

Really frustarted as we tend to work from home quite a lot!

May be I will just wait for the contract to finish before quitting these guys or see if I can pay my way out of this!

TJ

Hey @Andypop2406, so we can take a look into these broadband issues you've been having and help get you up and running correctly, please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK; or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Please also provide a link to this thread, along with your username; this will save time and we’ll be able to help you quicker.