Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

'_extra' Wifi network appeared

ethering
2: Seeker

Hi,
I set up my new Vodafone 500 network last week, and after a few days a second network appeared.
So, if my network is called 'VodafoneABC123' I now see a second network called 'VodafoneABC123_extra'.
If I log into the Vodafone UI and look under the WiFi tab, it list this as a 'secondary wifi' network.
Can anyone explain to me what this is and the point of it?
Many thanks,
Graham

6 REPLIES 6

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You'd normally see something like this if you set up an extender, but only on the extender not the main router!  At the moment I would suspect that you have kids....

Jayach

@ethering 

Which router do you have? Does it not have a "toggle" to turn of off/on?

I have the Power Hub. There's no option to disable the secondary network.
The only difference I can see between the main and secondary wifi networks is that the Main network uses WPA2-PSK-WPA3-SAE and the secondary wifi only uses WPA2-PSK.
5GHz and2.4GHz on the secondary wifi use the same channels as they do in Main network.

I can't really see the point in it!

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ethering so that we can take a look from our side, please get in touch with us on 191 free from a Vodafone mobile or 03333 040 191 from a different phone. 

ethering

Hi @Gemma 
Thanks for recommending that I call Vodafone. I spoke to the technical department today and they explained that this 'extra' network was one set up for older devices that might be unable to connect to more modern security protocols (e.g. devices which used WPA2 but not WPA3). On the Vodafone Broadband app, it's listed as the 'Compatibility mode' network and clicking on the 'info' button provides more information about the network.

Thanks for letting us know, @ethering. I'm glad they were able to provide more clarity on the secondary network.