Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

new router and Sky Q

lins75
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have set up a new vodafone router today and my laptop and phone are working fine on the wifi, but my sky q box just wont accept the password to connect to the wifi.  I have found a few threads where people have suddenly had connection issues with sky q and I have gone into my router settings and added a wifi2 as per a video on you tube and also gone into the expert settings to change the DNS & DDNS settings manually, but it is just telling me that it cannot connect.  The sky box worked fine with the sky wifi that I had until this morning.  Any ideas would be gratefully received

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Are you definitely using the correct password from the bottom of the router? There are 2, the WiFi and the router log on password. I was always mixing them up until I set my own.

Does the Sky box have a WPS option, that may be the easiest way to connect them.

Jayach

I found this on the web:

Where is the WPS button on Sky Q box?

To set up your main box, connect it via the WPS buttons on the router and Sky Q box: press the WPS button on the router for a couple of seconds, and then press the WPS button on the Sky Q box for a couple of seconds (it’s the button on the far right).

Thanks so much for the reply, I did double check I was using the right password when it failed the first time, but I also followed a you tube video that set up a secondary wifi just for their sky that produced a different password and this seperate password doesnt work either.  

I have tried using the WPS button this morning, but this hasnt connected them either.  It seems the only way I can connect them is to use a LAN cable, but really dont want a cable traipsing between the two devices when they both have wifi capability.

I got in touch with vodafone last night through the chat function and the person told me it was obviously an issue with my sky box and I should factory reset it, but this would lose all my recorded programs and the scheduling of recorded programs so when I said I really didnt want to just do this on a whim, they told me they couldnt really help me

I think I might have sorted it (🤞).  On a discussion on the sky community page it said to try setting the DNS setting of the Sky Q box to 8 8 8 8 which on its own didnt work, but then I went into my vodafone router settings, and changed the DNS settings on there also to 8 8 8 8 and they seems to be talking to each other and I am connected for now through wifi.  Whether I get any of the drop out of connections that people are mentioning on both forums, time will tell, but at least I am connected for the moment 😀

Jayach

That is a surprise. How the DNS setting can affect making the WiFi connection I have no idea. Good that it has worked.

gipjon

for future ref . if you are on sky Q and you change isp and get a new router on your sky Q box you have to go to

setting 

network connection 

network setup 

and then click reset 

this will reset the network setting

you also have to do the same on a multi room box as well even if you are connected by ethernet cables because it may say its connected but nothing will load or work until the network is reset on the sky q box's