Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband speed after 7pm - shocking

maccapacka75
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

For the past week or so, after 7pm, my home broadband drops to below 5mpbs (download) .I have raised this with online support twice and their scripted response is non-existent in terms of a resolution. It's that bad I have to end the 'chat' session before I lose my temper.

My home setup is fine, I average 45-50mbps (download) all day, every day; I also work from home, as does my wife, we're both on video calls while both kids are on Zoom and doing school work. No issues, no buffering perfect.

Clocks chime 7pm and it grinds to a stop.

Wifi and hard-wired  ethernet from the router same result; Okta speed test, Wifi man, all the same, and from multiple devices; iPad, windows laptop, Samsung phone.  All ping tests after 7pm, show latency. 

It is 100% a capacity, over-subscription problem, although the 'engineer' from VF tells me my 'line is clear'; Yes, it's clear but there is no bandwidth.

Sooner my contract runs out the better.

37 REPLIES 37

Tried that and 4 hours later, no response.

Awful customer service

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone, for anyone still experiencing issues please do drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter if you haven't already. We'll then be able to complete checks and tests from our side to find the cause of the speeds you're currently getting.

If you've already messaged us, rest assured we'll get back to your latest message as soon as we can - there can sometimes be a delay in responses as we're not an instant messaging service. 

Please also ensure your Community usernames and links to your post are included when reaching out to us. You then won't need to write your query again and we'll be able to track down your message to us if needed.

I sent a tweet and then DM to the Vodafone UK on Twitter on 01July and still have not had a response. I just wanted to check if my cancellation had gone through as I'd received an email but no further instructions on how to return the router later in the month. I'll give it another week but I just don't want the hassle if it turns out the cancellation didn't really go through...

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

8.3Mb download speed tonight. 😞

I think I have solved my problem.  I was also getting 1 to 3mbps in evening to midnight from beginning of June.

The problem I found was on another forum. About openreach nte5c mk4 faceplate. It doesn't work with some modem. I removed the faceplate and plug in adsl filter in master socket. for last 24h I am getting 49mbps download and 14mbps upload. I am still monitoring for next few days..🤞 

I finally resolved my issue, and it's fairly straightforward and can be completed in a few simple steps:

1.  Ensure your router is plugged in at the master socket (to rule out local issues)

2. Log onto your router with an ethernet cable, (to rule out WiFi issues)

3. Run regular speed tests every night and day for at least a week as evidence

4. Go here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints and lodge a complaint, citing Ofcom and uploading your speed tests as evidence

5. Cancel your contract and switch to another provider

My changeover happened today (EE with £100 cashback on Quidco, around same monthly price), and I'm using my own kit (exact same kit) with a different username and password. I'm currently sitting quite far from my router, with 60Mbps consistent download speed during peak hours! As an added bonus, websites no longer think I'm based in India and recognise I'm in the UK!

Good luck everyone, but persevere and get the service you deserve, wherever you find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear you've moved away from us @bittenbytailfly, but if there is ever anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us here, or feel free to drop our Social Media team a message here.

Has anybody actually.managed to solve this without leaving? Or even get Vodafone to admit there's a problem? I get good speeds all day, hit 7pm and bam, 2mbps. I've spoken to tech numerous times, changed DNS settings and split SSID more times than I care to remember, and been told there's "no issues their end" a multitude of times. Nobody has actually tried to do anything to solve the issue that clearly exists though. Surely if they can't provide the service we sign up to, they should just let us leave?

NB. To anybody reading this that is thinking of joining Vodafone - please, please don't do it. It's not worth your sanity.

I managed to break free from my contract....

Now on Sky, 50mbps download consistently all day.

Did you pay to leave? Whenever I mention that my speed is rubbish all I get back is "your sync speed is above the guaranteed minimum".