Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Could use some help with setup

Pete146uk
3: Seeker

Hi

I've just switched my broadband from Sky to Vodafone (today), and I have a few questions if somebody is able to give some advice.

I have moved from FFTP 500mb with Sky to 900 Pro II full fibre 900.  I don't have cityfibre, so the line is from a telegraph pole directly into my house.

I have the Ultra 6E hub, with a Super 6E booster and 4g mobile backup.  I have various devices connected to the hub via wifi. 

I also have a CAT6 cable running from the hub to an outbuilding (my office) and plugged directly into the booster.

I have a CAT8 cable running from the hub to a 5 port TP Link Gigabit ethernet switch, and then ethernet connections to my TV, FireCube, Security system, and Nintendo Switch.

Everything is connecting and working. But:

If I run a speed test from a device connected with WIFI, or from my office via the booster, I see upload speeds anywhere from 400mbps to 800mbps - This is what I was expecting as I have lots of devices connected over wifi.  But I only get upload speeds of 8-10mbps.  To clarify, I have tested using 3 devices connected with wifi and a laptop (also wifi) sat 1 metre away from the booster.

To check whether this is a wifi problem, I've accessed browsers from my TV and FireCube and ran speed tests on those devices (connected via the switch to the hub), and I see download speeds of 80-100mbps, and upload speeds of around 90mbps.

Does this look right?  I had expected the upload speeds to be much higher both over wifi and over ethernet.  I also expected the TV/Firecube to get much faster download speeds via ethernet.

I have left all of the hub settings as default - but I'm wondering if there is something obvious that I should be changing.

Thanks in advance for any help

Pete

8 REPLIES 8

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Pete146uk  Speed tests over WiFi are unreliable and should not be used for testing the minimum service level, only use ethernet connections. As you're over Open Reach , the speeds are asymmetric and the upload is much lower. What did VF quote you as the contacted speeds?

You said, "If I run a speed test from a device connected with WIFI, or from my office via the booster, I see upload speeds anywhere from 400mbps to 800mbps - This is what I was expecting as I have lots of devices connected over wifi.  But I only get upload speeds of 8-10mbps.", but I think you may have a typing error concerning the upload speeds?

Being 1m from the router is too close, you risk overloading the WiFi in the device/laptop.

Thank you, that's good to know.

No, no typing error. that's really my question - is it normal to only get 8-10mbps upload over wifi, and 80-100 Mbps download over ethernet?

Also, the quoted upload speed is 105mbps

Cynric

@Pete146uk OK, that does sound poor. VF have their own version of the Ookla speed test. Run that from an ethernet connection and post it here please.

Meanwhile, after the test, try these;

Turn off IPv6 settings in the router

Change the DNS settings to 8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1

Pete146uk

Tested by plugging my laptop directly into the main hub. I tried with 2 separate cables.

I then tried over wifi, around 3m from the hub. Download speed was 310, but upload was the same as over ethernet

1000007712.png

I couldn't use Vodafone's speed test (or Ookla direct), as no server could be found (unable to connect to a server at this time), so I'll try that again later

Pete146uk

Well - something seems to have changed in the last hour!

I'm now getting 600-900mbps downloads, and 80-110mbps uploads!  This is both over wifi and ethernet, on 3 different speed test sites.  I haven't changed anything yet, but this is much more like I expected.

Should I still be looking to change the DNS and turn off IPv6?  Or leave them as they are and keep an eye on the speeds?

Thanks

Cynric

@Pete146uk  Leave it alone for now. We don't know if VF have done anything in the background. It's nice to hear good news.