cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Day 7 after activation and speeds slow - wiring issue?

NorfolkSteve
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

Day 7 after my activation - Superfast 2 - and my speeds are still low.

So far Downstream - Maximum Rate has gone from 43619 kbps to 44086 kbps in 7 days but still below 51.3mbps (Minimum guaranteed)

I suspect my line is a little noisy: Attenuation DS1 11.3 dB, DS2 34.8 dB, DS3 41.8 dB

There are a number of extension phone sockets around the house but we won't be using a landline... so I looked at the master socket to see if these could be disconnected, but nothing there:
Master Socket.jpg

So it looks like my phone line does not go directly to my master socket. I then found this: 

Wiring.jpg

Could this be the source of some noise on my line?

Can I get my phone line in to go straight to my master socket - how do I arrange this?

All / any help appreciated.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It's difficult to work out what is going on in that junction box, it looks like someone has wired your extensions as a "star", which would result in degraded speeds.

If you can work out which is the incoming pair and wire them only to the pair going to the master socket that should be all you need.

If you enquire on local social media, such as Nextdoor, you can often find an ex-BT engineer who can help out.

Good luck.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach

Your pictures have not been moderated yet, but is this a new installation or were you on another ISP using the same line?

What does the BT checker say you can expect? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

I have just switched from Sky to Vodafone - with a change of phone number. 

I was getting 52869 kbps with Sky., I was hoping Vodafone would be a little faster...but it could be the BT line / wiring.

BT Checker shows:

VDSL Range A (Clean)  High 80   Low 68.1

VDSL Range B (Impacted) help High 80  Low 65

Thanks for helping.

Jayach

There is really no good reason why your speed with Vodafone would be much different to Sky, they are both delivered over the same Openreach fibre and copper.

The fact that your sync is lower than the BT checker estimates could well be due to wiring issues at your end, Unfortunately the pictures have still not been moderated. Once they are available we may be able to suggest improvements.

I was hoping for fasters but expecting a similar speed to Sky.

Currently quite a bit slower, so that's why I was looking to remove any phone extension wiring...which I thought would be from the master socket...

Jayach

It's difficult to work out what is going on in that junction box, it looks like someone has wired your extensions as a "star", which would result in degraded speeds.

If you can work out which is the incoming pair and wire them only to the pair going to the master socket that should be all you need.

If you enquire on local social media, such as Nextdoor, you can often find an ex-BT engineer who can help out.

Good luck.

Quick update - the wiring has been tidied up and all phone extensions removed...

Attenuation immediately went from: 

DS1 11.3 dB, DS2 34.8 dB, DS3 41.8 dB

to
  DS1 9.7 dB, DS2 24.5 dB, DS3 38.2 dB

Maximum Downstream Rate has risen in 3 days from 44086 kbps to 52334 kbps

So much happier with this 🙂

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

NB: Only OpenReach should touch the Master Socket, and whoever installed yours seems a little touched.

In theory you could trace the wiring to its point of entry into the property, then unscrew the OR white box and fit it adjacent to that point.

Divert/Re-route the wiring into the OR box and do a clean connection. It is only a few centimetres.

Then with all the old/excess/spare wiring you could run an extension to a convenient point for your router.

I sometimes seek solace in the wee small hours reading https://www.mymatevince.com/ 

If in doubt please ask.