Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full Fibre 900 - not getting up to minimum guaranteed speed

AyrshireFTTP
3: Seeker

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice based on other Vodafone customer experience.

I'll try and keep this fairly short as I could write pages based on my first week with Vodafone!

I had Full Fibre 900 service installed in Ayrshire, Scotland (Openreach) and activated over a week ago.  I have monitored speeds over that time, using cat6 ethernet cable between laptop and router with no other devices connected and wifi turned off - speed tests always return around 350-400mbps download and a consistent 108mbps upload.

I've had several online chats and phone calls with Vodafone (escalated to 2nd Line HBB Support) and sent evidence of these speed tests under their required conditions..  I've also done all of the resets of router/ONT box, etc.  I feel like I've been passed between various agents and since been told a few interesting things:

• they can see my account is set up to receive 550mbps - I queried why this is not 900mbps but could not get an answer to this
  • they advised that I shouldn't expect anything like  900mbps and that around 50% of that is guaranteed - my service is consistently lower than this and has been since installation (strange as Vodafone advertise the service with an expected download speed of 900mbps - while they say the guaranteed speed is lower, they set an expectation that it will be much better than this)

I have also tried with a third party router (Asus RT-AX82U - wifi6) and the speeds are consistently around the same level, so it isn't just down to the Vodafone router either.

I am still within the first 14 day period of my contract and can cancel without penalty or ask to change to the Full Fibre 500 package.  My main question at present is this - If I downgrade to the Full Fibre 500 service, with Vodafone should I expect my download speed to drop to around/below the 250mbps guaranteed on Full Fibre 500, or should it stay at around the levels I am currently experiencing (eg. 350-400mbps) as that is within the specs of that package?

Tbh, the current speeds that I am getting will be sufficient for my needs (and a massive increase on my old FTTC service), however I grudge paying the extra for the Full Fibre 900 when I am not getting speeds anywhere close to that, or even what I would have expected for the next (much cheaper) package down from that.

Any advice or experiences of other Vodafone full fibre customers (or indeed Vodafone reps) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

P

33 REPLIES 33

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@john533  The down/up speeds over FTTP not only depends on which product you buy from VF but it also depends on whether you are on Open Reach or City Fibre.

The speeds are published by VF and they are the speeds to the router and not the speeds from the router to the PC or device. WiFi speeds are not reliable anyway because of interference and the huge differences in the ways that devices operate.

Try reading the product literature, the contract small print and the other threads on this forum.

ibrahim365
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I got the 900mbps connection on a Friday but I am getting only 250mpbs on a wired connection using a Cat6 cable. I have wasted my whole weekend trying to sort out the speeds, by being on various calls with Vodafone, but the issue is not resolved. The speeds are highly unstable, it hits high of 480mbps & goes to low of 150mbps. Absolutely disappointed with Vodafone. I am not risking staying with them. If they dont resolve within a week, I am leaving them within the cooling off period. Also there router is so badly designed, its the widest router I have seen.. Cant keep it vertical, it has to be placed horizontally.. I suspect their router is really weak & the crux of the problem. I have read through all the replies, but couldnt find anything that would help resolve my internet speed issue. Not looking positive at this stage, but will give a week to Vodafone to resolve the matter, failing which I will be saying goodbye to them. 

Jayach

@ibrahim365 wrote:
Also there router is so badly designed, its the widest router I have seen.. Cant keep it vertical, it has to be placed horizontally.. 

Assuming you have the THG3000 router. I really don't understand these comments,.

It's a very similar width to many other ISP routers, and sits pretty stably on it's foot. It does lean backwards slightly, I assume so you can have it against a wall and still connect the cables.

It's now quite an old design, but there is no reason it can't handle the speeds you are talking about over Ethernet.

Out of interest, are you on Openreach or CityFibre?

Kaano

Experiencing same issues. Whenever I call customer service they want me to reset white box or router and wait for a couple of hours. But everything is the same as you may imagine. What I wonder is if I switch to the other ISP, do I get the same result. As they use same infrastructure? Anyone moved to another ISP?