Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full fiber 900

Foreteewinks
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having just had full fiber installed , Speeds have been all over the place . Reported it , told to wait awhile , probably to go past the 14 day cooling off period . Sometimes the Upload is 700 and download 100 , it peaks and troughs regularly.

After many calls and the purchase of a long netowrk cable it seems to of gotten a bit better but with a wired connection only direct from router to desktop 700/700 ish . But i want to use Wifi .

Speed standing by the Router on a  mobile is 80MBPS and less 25 feet up  stairs to the desktop is low 30,s:-( . with a low upload . is this normal. they say they dont give any guarantee but it will be obstructions and other devices to blame.... there arnt any!

Ive been offered a free Range extender but I just wasnt a decent speed for what is advertised . And the speeds deteriorate in the evenings . im not impressed . My BT Fibre with 70 MBPS was more stable and reliable .

Any advice appreciated !

16 REPLIES 16

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Foreteewinks There's another thread with similar WiFi issues. Firstly call the VF (un)helpdesk and try to get them to update the router firmware.

Watch the 14 day carefully, I got caught out by that.

Thanks , Im past the 14 day now but they have a record of my complaints going back to the beginning . the whole thing is sold wrongly and they do not tell the truth about what you should expect .The help desk is also based in Egypt and whats laughable is their VOIP telephony is awful , the line strength deteriorates during the calls so you only hear sometimes every other word extremely frustrating having to say ` Pardon ` all the time and ` I cant hear you ` . Its simply not good enough .

, I asked which Service provider they used and  silence .. Quite obviously Vodaphone cant even  run their own business, yet they  happily miss sell the Full fibre package to anyone that listens .

Its fair to say I am completely disenchanted with the whole thing ....

If it doesnt improve I will be cancelling and going to court if needs be.

81.45 Mb/s32.29 Mb/s

My latest test through powerline which is the same as previous Bt or just over .

Cynric

@Foreteewinks As a PowerLine user for several years I can only say that those figures look very bad. There is likely to be something wrong in the house wiring. Out of interest can you put a second PL socket in the same room as the one connected to the router and see if the speed is better over a shorter wiring distance. I have seen huge differences in a very old building where the speed drops from 150Mbps (the fastest possible at that site) to 16Mbps.

Jayach

Personally, and from my own experience, I would never again try to use powerline. As far as I am concerned it is garbage, I know other people have had good results from it, but in my opinion is a waste of time.

It's probably due to the wiring in my (1950's) bungalow but I'm not about to get it rewired to make powerline work.

Can you explian as I dont seem to understand what you are asking . My Powerline is next to my Pc and connected to the router powerline which are next to each other .

Jayach

@Foreteewinks wrote:

After many calls and the purchase of a long netowrk cable it seems to of gotten a bit better but with a wired connection only direct from router to desktop 700/700 ish . But i want to use Wifi .

If you are getting that speed wired, it says the FTTP is basically working. (It should be closer to the 900/900, but it is nothing like you say you are getting)

If speeds over wireless and powerline are much lower, you should be looking into why that is, not complaining the service was miss sold.

The Wifi  speed  fluctuates. The mobile phone test Standing right next to the router is always 80-200 ish and it gets lower as i move around the house . Should it be more ?

I was getting a stronger signal via Bt , different router but same setup . Its not my equipment .

Cynric

@Foreteewinks  I don't know if you were asking me or not regarding PowerLine. The downsides with PL are wonky wiring and other equipment attached to the same power supply. Given your PL is so close to the router I'd expect it to get the same speed as the router gets from the external infrastructre. If you aren't getting a great speed in the same room I'd try testing from other wall sockets.

My experience with PL apart from at home (late 1960s house) is with a 14th century grade 1-star listed building where, because of the rules, the only way to get networking is by PL. The problem is that the building was initially wired in the 1920s and I think some parts were last renovated about 30 years ago. The building walls are 4 feet thick too.

Even so I am a huge fan of PL networking but I am aware that it can be less effective than the blurb you'd see in the product literature. It works acceptably well at home and has saved me a load of trouble had I had to pull cables, WiFi at home is somehow "absorbed" by the walls.

Through the pwerline I am getting 130/130 ish regularly, the way the wiring is configured can reduce the speed if it isnt a direct route to the host Adapter .

I have just tested the Mobile Speed test next to my desktop and im getting  5 mbps download and 7 upload  with a 500 Ping !. Its appalling / the speeds fluctaute wildly especially during the evening . I am not using any other devices draining the speed .