Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Streaming keeps buffering on FTTC connection

dooper
4: Newbie

Hello,

I suspect this is a longstanding and widespread problem and i wonder if there are any updates?

I have a vodafone FTTC connection which currently has an uptime of 105 days and a current synch capacity of  78614kbps downstream and 20000kbps upstream according to the router which is the as supplied standard vodafone wifi hub.

We have had long term issues with streaming services periodically stopping and buffering. We only tend to use these services in the evening so this would be the only service using data.

It affects ITV player and BBC Iplayer. Im sure it would affect other similar services should we use them.

The smart TV is hard wired using a network cable and its wireless connection is set to off.

I've put up with it for long enough and i think this is due to vodafones service and not an issue within the home.

Why should i have to pay for the service when i cant do something as simple as stream a programme on iplayer?

I might as well downgrade to ADSL.

Does anyone know if vodafone recognizes and is addressing these issues?

Thank you

20 REPLIES 20

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I don't think it is either longstanding or widespread. I'm also on FTTC with very similar connection speed, and don't have any problems with streaming. Of course, I might just be lucky.

Have you tried streaming from another device, just to check it isn't something to do with the TV?

There are a number of posts complaining of slowdowns in the evening, so have you tried a speed test when the TV is buffering. Or are you able to stream O.K. earlier in the day?

Cynric

.@dooper have you tried this test https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I am asking because the sync speed is the theoretical line maximum capacity and not the day-to-day experience.  Once the basic speed test has completed, click on the additional diagnostic test and follow the instructions. You should get a panel showing actual and expected speeds.

Note: make sure that the device is either ethernet directly connected to the router or WiFi in the same room (but not closer than 3 feet).

I've just run the test and got these speeds (down/up) in two locations:

Connected to router 54.76/13.7

Another room over powerline 45.13/13.88

other devices in the house are on and in use, so for me this is fine. If the home network is "quiet", I can get over 60 download.

piermaster
4: Newbie

Mine is exactly the same, great in the day but buffers all night until about 10. I take it Vodafone now throttle lines at busy times. It is no use calling them as customer service is crap…..

Jayach

I might annoy some people, but it not throttling. Throttling is a deliberate act, what you are experiencing is a probably an unintended consequence of under capacity.

OK guys, ive been doing some further testing.

Tonight i was streaming a favourite series on the ITV hub app on my LG tv. It was the only data load on the line.

Yet again several times it has stuttered and showed the rotating buffering symbol and once or twice it showed the Whoops something went wrong, wait or cancel dialogue box. It picks up and carries on playing.

I have tried the TV connected hard wired to the hub and also connected wirelessly and it was the same.

Tonight i was simultaneously streaming the very same programme on a laptop. I had the programme running more or less perfectly synchronized on both devices give or take a second.

The tv was hard wired to the hub and the lappy was running wireless.

When the TV stream faltered, there were no issues with the lappy and it carried on playing with zero glitches.

My partner says the glitching is an issue on all streaming services eg ITV hub, bbc iplayer, netflix.

My conclusion is that it isnt a vod issue, but it could be a tv software  issue.

The TV isnt that old. Its an LG 49UM7400PLB

It has the latest software on board and there are no current updates available.

Wat do others think ??

Thanks

Further tests,,

I plugged in an amazon firestick via HDMI and ran both iplayer then ITV hub and in both cases, there were no glitches or buffering.

My conclusion is that this isnt a vodafone data issue but that it could be an LG tv operating system software issue or networking hardware issue .

Homik
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just recently joined Vodafone service and I do have the same problem. Before, when Virgin was my service provider, I have never experienced anything like that. Not happy at all. V bad start on my experience with Vodafone.

Jayach

If you are on FTTC, the speed you get is dependant on the length and condition of the copper wire between you and the cabinet.

What speed estimates were you given when you joined up?

200 fibre to the router and wireless to TV, units in the same room. Like I have said, before never had this issue with Virgin and it was copper to router, speed 120, WiFi to tv