Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigaslow 900

Greatoldone
4: Newbie

I’ve had the fastest fibre package since it became available thru city fibre 2 years ago. I’ve been very happy with the service until now - I’m seeing massive drop offs in speed, outages and latency that would put a damp piece of string to shame.

I’ve been in contact with customer support, and they gave me the usual turn it off and on again regime, with the router and the ONT. After 4/5 attempts I got my service back, and it seemed ok… but then the weird slow downs occur.

I’ve been logging my speed tests automatically to see if there was any common thread to what may be causing it (I’ve been using the ookla speed test cli system that spits out the data to a database and the plots the info as a graph. Take a look here for the package https://github.com/henrywhitaker3/Speedtest-Tracker)

This is the results - every 30 mins - since my support call. Download v Upload with Min, Max and AveDownload v Upload with Min, Max and AvePingPing

I can almost force the speed to come back by rebooting the ONT. So rather than crawl into my network cabinet, I put the PSU for the ONT on a smart socket so I can reboot it remotely. It gives me a couple of hours before it goes wonky again… so its not a solution.

I’m on default gateway 84.65.0.1. The network is gigabit Ethernet to all rooms, plus Wi-Fi. But as you can see when I get decent speeds, the machine running the speed tests is cabled, not on Wi-Fi.

I can provide all of the data in csv format, to whatever line of support is required. I just want my reliable broadband back. If Vodafone can’t do this, I’m sure other service providers can. I know I can get Virgin 1200mbit in my area… and I’m out of my 2 year contract. 

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Your gateway is Bracknell.

Honestly? You're out of contract so it's probably best to jump ship now.

There's many happy customers on Vodafone. It's when things go wrong this isp shows nothing but inability and ineptitude. 

Jayach

It's interesting that rebooting the ONT brings the speed back temporarily. As you are out of contract, there are other providers using CityFibre now, may be worth trying one of them. If the problem continues with them, it's likely the fault is with CityFibre.

I’ve taken the plunge, and ceased with Voda. Off to Giganet. 900/900, guaranteed 450 (not the crudy 4 as promised here) and a static IP. First 3 months free, then £41pm

Cease on the 2nd December, Giganet activation same day.

I’ll just leave this here… [Removed]

if your wanting to jump ship, you may as well get a bonus for doing so. Ok, so do I - but I’ll call it compensation for the bad service from VF. 🤣

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove off topic/personal information/inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

Ah. I see VF have their priorities sorted out… quick to remove competitor links, slow to help actual customers having issues. If VF had shown this much gumption when I’ve contacted them with my issues, maybe I’d still be a customer. 😝

So - quick update. I've successfully migrated to Giganet. I won't pretend that it was seamless - it wasn't, as cityfibre hadn't done something their end so I had no service for a day whilst Giganet chased them... and of course VF had ceased at just gone midnight on the day of the Giganet activation. But now it's up and running and I'm back to the speeds I used to see - over 900Mbs up and down, and single digit ping times.

What was nice was when I called the service desk regarding all of this, I got thorough immediately, and to someone who knew what they where talking about. There was no repeating of excuses as they read from a script - they actually knew what was what, got onto city fibre whilst I was on the phone and kept me informed throughout. 

So far so good. I'll let you know how it goes as I've still got my 15min speed tracking setup running so I can keep track of how the speed does (or does not, fingers crossed) fluctuate.