cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Latency gone from 5-6 to 16-17ms 900mb slow download!

jalzoo
4: Newbie

For some reason my latency has gone up 10ms from 5-6 to 16-17ms. Can't understand why traceroutes are all look the same as before nobody is downloading on my network i'm hardwired in not using wifi. When getting FTTP i expected low latency as cityfiber seem to advertise on their website. Ive had much lower latency using non FTTP isps this is not what i expected at all. 16-17ms may not sound like much but why would it suddenly jump up from 5-6?. Can't wait to leave vodafone counting down the days to my contract ending!!.  Ive done all the usual protocols reboot the router reboot the ONT just the same. I get between 9ms and 100+ ms to my local gateway it's rather high for the second hop.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AX86S-9360 [192.168.1.1]
2 84 ms 75 ms 69 ms 90.247.192.1
3 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 63.130.105.110
4 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms 90.255.251.119
5 17 ms 15 ms 16 ms 151.101.0.81

Internet speed is also taken a hit the download is only 100-200mbps 

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/1b539050-5be6-4e4a-8524-31ce1cf72abd 

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/3ada5ee4-7414-4f8c-a9dc-01df915c1c26 

Have spoken to support they are about as helpful as a rotten cabbage. 

54 REPLIES 54

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Not if you have the gateway IP, which should be that first IP outside of your own LAN when you perform a traceroute - all your data is routed through that location before it goes anywhere else.  So if the difference in latency is almost nothing, then the distance from the gateway to your target needs to be minimal!  We're talking fractions of a millisecond here!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Throughout  Saturday, I rebooted my VF router three  times. On each occasion my IP changed, indicating that I hadn't yet been allocated a static IP. I repeated the exercise this morning - same result. So, the online chat operative did not succeed in ordering me a static ip or there is a delay of more than 24 hours. 

However, I am back on  an apparent London location and the Watford test server. This restores my proper 900Mb connection , but with latency of 8ms. I need to stick here. 

UPDATE: Rebooted again. IP changed. I'm back in Cumbria!  Clearly, my staic IP has not been applied. Low latency, but only getting 300Mb downstream. 

This variability in connection quality is very concerning. Downstream speeds should be consistent and in keeping with what we pay for regardless of IP and connection route. 

FURTHER UPDATE:  Chatted online again. The operative conceded that my order had  somehow suspended itself, so has re-ordered a static IP.  He/She agreed to add a note to the order asking that my static IP is one that is routed  optimally. I may be asking the impossible here, but  I don't think I am paying for a connection that consistently gives me <600Mb downstream, when the headline figure is 900Mb.

G PON is also contended bandwidth and not dedicated there is 2.5gbps download and 1.2gbps upload shared between 60+ houses in your area it only takes a few heavy users in the area to have a serious effect on others. When i first signed up to FTTP i automatically assumed that it would be immune from slow downs but after doing some research that is defiantly not the case. The only upside to GPON is when the time come to needing an upgrade to XGSPON capable of 10gbps+ the work will be minimal for the future. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you may have been answering somebody else's comment, and I appreciate what you are saying, but the slowdown I experience is only when my IP appears to be based in Amble, Cumbia. (<600Mb) This effect is at any time of day, including the small hours.  When my IP appears to be London-based I get >900Mb 24/7. 

frankburke
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

Wao, that is really interesting news for old users who have issues while downloading any file. Now they also feel the faster speed of the internet. Keep it up, buddy.