Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New FTTP

Madhatter
4: Newbie
Hi, I've had FTTP installed and using a Fritzbox 7530. Changed it to use modem and it's connected, the DL speeds are a 6th of what they should be. I am getting 83MB down and 57 up, package is 500 DL and 68 UL. Will it improve or is there a fault?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Madhatter

Just to bore you guys a bit further.😀

Whilst doing my research who to move to, I upgraded to 900MB in the desperation that it might make a difference and nada, exactly same speeds as on the 500MB package, had to ring up to confirm.

Waiting for my phone line to move to A&A, than am out of here, got 14 days to do it in.

View solution in original position

73 REPLIES 73

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Modem? You have the modem working on fttp? That just makes no sense.

The speeds suggest a bad setup or weak light - as long as you're not testing over WiFi. 

Sorry modem = new box they fitted for the FTTP.

Setup is ethernet cable from OR white box to router.

On Fritzbox changed it to use modem as in this video

https://youtu.be/1l1KgEh4kHU?si=h09YFRVSkOgxoKkg

I haven't changed anything else from the settings I was using for FTTC and can't see any to change.

Madhatter

Absolutely strange behaviour, not getting anything close to 500MB, there is no congestion as am the only one on FTTP on my street, back to the exchange, don't think more than dozen connections if even that as only started going live 3 months ago.

On Ookla and BT wholesale I can hit 430 on a quiet house day, but Think Broadband it's 20 or less for download but upload is 64.

Strange upload is fairly accurate but not download.

Cynric

@Madhatter Now that you are on FTTP your connection to the VF backbone is not the local exchange as it was with FTTC. Your entry point could be many miles away.

If you can do a route trace to www.bbc.com and paste it here, after hiding your public IP address, we can see where you are joining.

Did a Tracert and these are the results.

C:\>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to gtm-uk.www.bbc.co.uk.pri.bbc.co.uk [212.58.235.129]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.broadband []

2 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 100.68.0.1

3 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 63.130.172.39

4 21 ms 12 ms 10 ms 195.66.224.88

5 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 132.185.249.73

6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 212.58.235.129

Trace complete.

2nd time

C:\>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to gtm-uk.www.bbc.co.uk.pri.bbc.co.uk [212.58.236.1]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms vodafone.broadband []

2 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 100.68.0.1

3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 63.130.172.39

4 6 ms 8 ms 7 ms 90.244.159.77

5 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 132.185.249.88

6 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 212.58.236.1

The most peculair thing is my upload is spot on, just download is lot lower, There is no congestion whatsoever as I am the only one ont he pole and street, the pole is right outside my house.

As for the Town, we have just had FTTP roll out started and I would be surprised if more than dozen people on it even if that as most of the CBT done have any connections and town has had VM for a very long time.

Jayach

@Madhatter 

What speeds do you get with the Vodafone router?

Am getting around 440 connected directly to router.

Ripshod

440 isn't too bad tbh. What's the minimum speed guarantee from vodafone? 

Your first external hop is a concern though. It's not a normal gateway as far as ARIN is concerned. Having looked further into it it would seem to be a CG-NAT address. You can confirm this by setting up a BQM at thinkbroadband and enabling pings in your router's firewall settings. If it is CG-NAT then you'll be the first member I've seen on this system. Nothing to worry about unless you want to serve files or media from home, or if you're a serious gamer. 

It's above the minimum most of the time, IIRC it's around 270.

Think your right about the CGNAT as someone else posted same on another forum.

Online gaming days are over, file sharing may do in future.