cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow speeds from Vodafone Gigacube 5G in Central London...

Janupedia
2: Seeker

I recently purchased the unlimited plan for the Gigacube and upgraded from my 12mbps down/1mbps up DSL connection. 5G is not available in my area yet (Clapham Junction) but will be soon. I set it up, updating the firmware, slotting in the SIM and placing it near my top floor window (positioning doesn't matter). Speeds would fluctuate depending on peak usage because it's 4G but I was clocking in at 70-80mbps download and 30mbps upload. However, at least once a week or possibly more the speeds will drop to and average around 6mbps down/15mbps up across all my devices such as my ethernetted desktop and smartphone. The timing of these drops varies as it's never a set time during the week/day but appears to be occurring randomly.

I've contacted Vodafone, who offer my unlimited data plan contract for the Gigacube (Huawei 5G CPE Pro) but their support has been useless. Their suggestions...

1.) Engineering work ongoing. Possible but unlikely, seeing as this continues for ages unless fixed. My smartphone is also with Vodafone and that's clocking in at a good speed.

2.) Network logs need updating. Not sure about this but I keep the Gigacube updated and it does so automatically anyway.

3.) Remove the SIM and place it back after x amount of time. This worked on 2 separate occasions but has failed entirely for the past 24 hours.

4.) I'm not on the correct plan. This was a straight lie as I'm paying £50 a month for unlimited data as stated in my contract. No limitations. Period. Bear in mind, only 1 support guy replied with this.

I honestly have no idea what is causing this. I doubt it's an actual issue with the Huawei 5G CPE Pro router as I haven't damaged it in anyway or form and I don't see why it would be an issue with that. I purchased the Gigacube and contract nearly a month ago and have since used 900GB of bandwidth. I've browsed online for solutions but there is very little support on the 5G Gigacube. I should also ensure the SIM is correctly placed in the router but I'm pretty sure it is. I personally believe this stems from either Vodafone throttling or the supposed "engineering". Any thoughts or suggestions would be graciously appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'd like to get to the bottom of this for you @Janupedia so I'll need to ask a few questions. 

Are you able to test your GigaCube's speeds in another location, such as a friend or a relative's home to see if the speeds fluctuate there too?

When testing your SIM in another device, do you have the same experience?

Please also let me know the postcode of the area and I can check to see if we're aware of any current issues. If you'd prefer not to share this on the thread, it can be added to your profile for our team's eyes only. 

I had no problems when on my 30Gb contract. I recently upgraded to Unlimited MAX and upload speeds are now awful all over Essex and London.. Having confirmed I am on the Max (unrestricted) contract the local Vodafone shop told me the problem was my 5C I-Phone. So, just spent £1,000 on a top of the range I-Phone XS Max. Still no better than 5Mbps upload. Is Vodafone throttling speeds? 

Honestly, I tried everything but there's barely anything on this Huawei 5G CPE router anyway. EE (overpriced and not in stock) and Three (better 5G network/unlimited plans) also offer the same router but with different plans. I sent mine to the repair shop and have been waiting for 3 weeks. I've decided just to move to Three. 

Hey did you get this sorted? 

I'm convinced it's throttling too. 

I ended up returning it for a replacement Gigacube from Vodafone. Working fine now and my highest Speedtest was 160mbps down at 1:00 AM. Average 100 mbps during night as well. 

plm9088

I have the the same exact problem really had enoughr of them the promised 15-60 Mbps when I bought the device it worked for few days and that was it the  download speed is absolutely rubbish and they just don't help I have been passed on to people left and right had have the phone for put down on me waited hours on the phone always se reasonndoing repairs should be completed in a week should be completed by this day and that day 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sure we'll be able to get you back upto these speeds @plm9088. Are you able to check the speeds you get with your SIM in another device? If so, is this better or worse than those provided by your Gigacube?

If you could also let me know the postcode of the area and I can check to see if we're aware of any current issues. If you'd prefer not to share this on the thread, it can be added to your profile, so it can only be viewed by the moderators

Plugged it into a WiFi increased the speed slightly but nothing great 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've replied to your other post @plm9088. To avoid any confusion, please continue to discuss this with us there.