cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed Test Results on the Gigabit (900Mbps) plan.

jamesnemo90
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently signed up for Vodafone's Gigabit Internet in Peterborough using the CityFibre network and wanted to share speed test results from different times of day. 

The image with the two results on the list are from my MacBook Pro located 2 meters or so from the router using Wi-Fi. The 434Mbps & 430Mbps results are from having my VPN from Nord connected. And the higher result is without the VPN connected. Those tests were run at 4am so it's likely I had more availability to the bandwidth on the network. The other results are from my iPhone since my service was activated.

Even though the Gigabit Broadband Service is advertised to achieve 910Mbps each way, I have never in the 3 weeks I've had Gigabit Internet achieved the full 910Mbps. [EDIT]: I've used a hard line and am now achieving the expected speeds (school boy error) Though it's still pretty impressive, I'm pleased with the speed and reliability so far and I've not had any issues. I'm a filmmaker and regularly need to upload hundreds of GBs of data to cloud storage for my clients and editor view and download the footage. It recently uploaded 200GB to my OneDrive in less than an hour. Standard Fibre would probably take days to upload that amount of data.

Do you have Gigabit Internet? Have you achieved the full advertised speed? Post your results below (just for my own curiosity). I use the Speedtest App from Ookla.

MacBook Pro ResultsMacBook Pro Results

iPhone ResultsiPhone Results

9 REPLIES 9

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Your pics haven't been moderated yet. You're testing on WiFi, which has it's own limitations. Connect with a LAN cable and test again. 

I'm using a MacBook Pro with USB-C ports so I've just ordered a LAN to USB-C adapter and will give it a go. I know a hard line is always best. I'll be sure to update the results with via LAN

I'm just curious to see everyone's experience is all. Cheers

LAN test results are in and they're looking good! I wrote my original post at stupid o'clock in the morning and it didn't even twig that Wi-Fi isn't as accurate. But I'm more curious to see everyone's results to gauge performance. I've just run a test over a hard line and I'm pretty impressed. Not bad for £29 a month eh!

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 14.47.46.png

Same findings as yourself, the wired as good as matches advertised giga speed,

However WiFi less than 1/2 (for me at least)

Thought there was something wrong, but reading that this is to be expected and never achive wired speeds.

Happy enough since I moved from a lowly 8mb BT service.

Screenshot_20220814-164139_Speedtest.jpg

8 ping and 921 download and 940 upload when wired and the following screenshot via wifi

drax101
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,
See my results on a wired connection - Can't get the download speed anywhere near to the 940Mbps stated but upload is always correct.
Talking to Pro Support is useless - just wasted 15 minutes of my life trying to get this sorted - Saying the issue is on the device and not the service, also as I'm getting above the minimum they won't do anything.

drax101_0-1655130856470.png

Jayach

@drax101 wrote:

also as I'm getting above the minimum they won't do anything.

That's obviously why they set the minimum at half the rated speed. 😮

That's odd that you have the expected speeds on the upload, but 2/3 of what's expected on the download. Speeds do of course fluctuate based on demand and the time of day. What device are you using? Do you use a VPN, Proxy or other software that is to do with your network speeds? It might be worth looking into what might be causing it.

@jamesnemo90 - Wasn't using a VPN or Proxy.
Issue was with the Vodafone provided Router. Switched across to my 3rd party router, and I'm getting 940/940 at all times plus have a more secure network again :Smiling:
I'll live without the VOIP Phone and hope (not holding out hope) that at some point Vodafone will provide the VOIP details to allow for a VOIP convertor to be used.