Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi speeds not correct

vodehome23
2: Seeker

Just had the 900mbps line installed.

When the engineer installed it, he tested the WiFi and was like "oh, it's only 500, will probably take awhile to get the speed through".

However once he left, I whacked in a cable and did a test and got 930mbps, and yet when testing over WiFi I got 500mbps and then today I getting 300mbps over WiFi, but the cables test is fine. 

I rang Vodafone who said they would update the firmware on the router and I should call back in a week. 

Just to let you know... Excact same results after firmware update. 

I'll wait a week.. But I feel this was just fobbing me off.

Also, I've tried on multiple WiFi devices, even my 13th gen intel laptop i just got with the latest WiFi card in it. 

20 REPLIES 20

vodehome23

Now getting speeds below 150.

Tried all different WiFi devices and in close range and far range. Seems to just be getting worse.... Wired is still strong though. 

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@vodehome23  It may just be possible that a neighbour is on the same channel with a strong signal. If you can manually change channel give that a try, if not restart the router and see if it automatically selects a new channel. You could get a WiFi analyser app on a mobile device and scan what else is broadcasting in case it is another close-by router. In the event that you think that the router is at fault you will have to persist with the help desk.

Had a look and it seems that I'm the only one in the area on channel 52 so that rules that one out.

Will persist with the support desk but thanks! 

Jayach

@vodehome23 wrote:

I'll wait a week.. But I feel this was just fobbing me off.

I'm sure you're right.

Unfortunately Wi-Fi speeds are not guaranteed. Which router do you have?

I have the THG3000

Also did a ping test to the router over WiFi, check out the latency, it's all over the shop.

So I've got that issue on top of the 400mbps less I'm receiving. I get that it's not garenteed speed.. But almost half of it gone.... 

1000019118.jpg

Jayach

Your picture hasn't been moderated yet, but if there is high latency between you and the router I would suggest possible interference. I'd suggest trying another Wi-Fi channel, but of course Vodafone have removed that option.:Sad_face:

Yeah I noticed that option was removed too, so frustrating.

I've spoken to their technical team and they keep telling me about interference in my home with the wifi, but nothing is near it other than myself about 1 meter away from it with several devices doing speed test and im not getting over 500mbps. They keep just telling me "oh you get the minimum which is 500". well i dont want the minimum of 500 if im paying for 900, i dont want on average 300 if im paying for 900. They dont seem to understand this. All i get is. "oh theres nothing we can do, you're getting the minimum". Well, why dont i pay for 500 if im only ever going to maybe get 500.

Cynric

@vodehome23  For what it's worth, 1m is possibly too close. At that distance the signal is too strong and overloads the device. Move out to 2m and see if there is any improvement.

I'll be honest. No matter where I am in the house and no matter what device, I've only ever managed to get 530mbps download which was today.

But at the same time I've also done a few other speed tests, one with results of 90mbps download and another with 350mbps download.

All the whole though I got 700 average on upload speed.

It's just frustrating.