Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sync speed dropping

Bob-1
4: Newbie

My sync speed as dropped over a couple of months, it was up past the 70's but now it dropped and stopped at 49, i was getting downloads at 69 but at the best its now is 45, in my joining  letter it said my minimum would be 51.

I have noticed that it randomly reconnects which i never got with my previous isp.

Is it worth contacting vodafone?

34 REPLIES 34

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The checker is usually quite conservative, so I would expect you to have at least the low 70's.

I assume the handback figure is their way of saying, "as long as you can get you this, we will not be spending too much more time and money getting it higher,"

Much of the Openreach copper network is hard to access (digging up roads etc) and is all due to be retired by the end of 2025, so you can understand their point.

However in this case, when you have come from another service successfully using the same copper, it is infuriating not to be able to get Openreach to investigate.

If the disconnections have stopped, and after a week or so, DLM hasn't brought the SNR down (and the sync up) try leaving the router off overnight. If it is still comes back at 49000, it must be stuck. (it does happen apparently)

If Vodafone then still won't raise it to Openreach, the only other thing will be to try raising an official complaint, and hope they can take it more seriously. Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone UK

Still locked at 49 not that i'm surprised had loads of errors during the thunder storm we had last night and had no errors since.

I have even thought about getting fibre to the house but i refuse to pay more than a new customer, other suppliers quote higher guaranteed connection speeds to my house but i'm only 5 months into this contract 😭

Jayach

I've not gone through the whole thread, but Vodafone doesn't seems to charge a premium on the FTTP contracts compared to the FTTC ones.

Why do you think you will be charged more than a new customer?

I have recently renewed with Vodafone (FTTP not available here) an am paying less than a new customer.

I wouldn't be renewing i would be upgrading , my price £27 new customer price £25.

Isn't this just normal with everything not just broadband.

I wouldn't have even thought about swapping if i got the speeds i have had for the first  4 months, is there a link maybe , first email from Vodafone " Our faster full fibre broadband has landed in your area, and you're eligible to upgrade. " then my speed drops, that was back in June when it dropped and its not gone back up since its locked at 49 , i used to get  76 sync , download speed between 40-45 was at 68-70.

I will just have to live with it till i can swap at least it can't get any lower.

Jayach

Where are you getting the £27 price from? Would you be swapping to Superfast2 on FTTP or Superfast 100? What is your current contract price for Superfast 2 on FTTC?

I would have expected them to either move your contract over or start a new one. Either way I wouldn't expect them to charge more than a new customer.

Have you actually spoken to them?

The last email i got off Vodafone, i'm not making this up, in fact you couldn't make this up, no one would believe me including you.

Here’s an offer we think you’ll loveSuperfast 100 for £27* a month at average speeds of up to 100Mbps

Jayach

Seems typical of Vodafone. Probably worth giving them a call and see what they actually offer.

After leaving it a while, still stuck on 49 which is no surprise, things have started to get a bit laggy for time to time so did a speed test.

I did a reboot leaving it half an hour it was still 49 but upload as gone up a little to the max.

Seems my speed as dropped and the ping as gone up.

Screenshot_2022-09-15_16-18-47.png

looks like a DLM reset has been done i am now syncing at 60 max rate just under 69, there was a reconnection just before 5.00 this morning.

Let see what happens over the next week or so.

Jayach

That seems far more reasonable. 😀