Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TP-Link Archer AX3000 slowed speeds

TokenYank
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So I've got a bit of an issue here I hope someone here can help me with. I have a bit of a setup at home, (8 wired devices and 22 wireless devices) so I decided (before moving to vodafone) to upgrade my router. I chose the AX3000 as it has wifi6 capabilities, and was within my budget. I will try to give as much information as possible, If you need to know anything else to help me out on this, I'll be happy to let you know. 

Before I moved to VF from VM, I had my VM router in Modem mode, and everything worked fine. I had a 200mbps connection, and all my wired devices got 200mbps no problem. I checked all the capabilities of the modem before moving to VF, and I signed up for the Gigafast 500. Got it installed, got my username and password after speaking to 4 people, put them in and I was off. 

At 300mbps. I can occasionally get 320mbps, but normally tops out at 300. I tried connecting the VF router to the cables running to my AX3000 and saw 500mbps speeds as soon as it connected. Plugged those cables right back in the AX3000 and for about a minute after connection I was getting speed tests of 450-460 but then after another few minutes it dropped back down to 300mbps. 

I have all cat6 cables. One which connects to a TP-Link UE300 gigabit unmanaged switch, which then connects to a TV, Sky Q, Nintendo Switch and an Xbox. The other cable goes into another room, same switch used, which connects to a Desktop, Laptop and two cables to a server rack. All devices report negotiating gigabit connections, and file transfers between machines reflect this. The desktop and laptop (wired) are the two that do my speed tests using Speedtest and Fast. The third cable connects to a Raspberry Pi Zero running pi-hole. DNS settings for the pi-hole are saved on the router. 

I have spoken to Vodafone who say they offer no third party router support, and confirm I am on a 500mbps connection, and using the supplied VF router I can confirm this. 

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do so I can get the speed I'm paying for? 

Edit- I've had the service now for a month. 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are on Gigafast you don't need the VF router in the setup - using the VF router and a second router will actively cause problems.

You can connect your new router directly to the ONT/(G)PON and create a connection with your user name and password.  You may (or may not) also need to get the router to express VLAN ID 911 on its WAN port.  If this is not immediately accessible from the WAN PPPoE settings, then you may need to use the IPTV settings in the router (it'll be manual to get VLAN ID on the WAN port),

Let us know how you get on!

I only tried using the VF router to see if it would get me the full 500 meg speeds, and it does, straight away. 

My TP-link router is connected directly to the ONT. 

I can enter the Internet VLAN ID under 'Advanced settings / ISP profile: Custom' however it also requires a value entered for VoIP VLAN ID and IPTV VLAN ID and I've tried many settings I found online that others say work fine, but whenever I try to enter these settings, the router won't connect. 

https://imgur.com/a/UuaEiZf

There's the settings I have under the advanced tab, and I've tried every setting option I can find people online say works, but if I enter any advanced settings, it doesn't work at all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

IF you need it the VLAN ID for Gigafast is 911, and the priority can be set to 0.  If it works without these settings, then you won't need to use them.

When you are talking about the speeds are you meaning speedtest speeds/transfer rates, or the device to router sync rates.

If QoS is set on the router, then you may want to try turning this off.

I can transfer files between computers at 100-115 mBps on my network, but my internet speed tests only return 300mbps.  (please note the difference between mBps and mbps)

I've tried the VLAN at 911 with priority set to 0, but the VOIP and IPTV settings require a value when setting the VLAN ID to 911 and I've tried every option I can find online, and when I do, the router won't connect. I just get a timeout message and it asks me to change the settings or try again. 

Hi TokenYank,

Having the same issues at the moment with the TP Link Archer AX50 (3000) connected directly to the ONT. I have tried other VLAN ID's but the only one that has worked for me so far is VLAN ID - 10, (VoIP - 101, IPTV 102). However, speed is reduced to 300Mb/s as you also experienced. Previously tested 1Gb/s on the same line with the Gigabox router.

Strangely the same 300mb/s bandwidth was present when i used the two router configuration so i thought it might be an issue with QoS settings on the router. I've tried a few different configurations but no joy as yet.

I know it's an old thread but on the off chance you (or anyone else) has found a solution, i'd really appreciate any guidance you may have.

EDIT: Problem solved - I hope this helps anyone still reading this thread.

The issue was with the built in QoS software on the router. For some reason despite no device priority being set and multiple different settings tried (there is no toggle off option on the latest firmware), it was throttling bandwidth speed, even over ethernet connections.

My solution was to manually set the total bandwidth limits to 999Mb/s (max allowable) and set the QoS setting to Standard. Problem was solved immediately.

This can be done in the router web interface or tether app under HomeCare->Qos->Manually Edit bandwidth