Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unbelievably slow upload speed - connection unusable

anne_gd
2: Seeker

Hi everyone, 

Question about our "Superfast 2" fibre broadband.

We have been experiencing regular drop-outs, Dozen times a day, usually in clusters. And incredibly slow upload spreads ~0.5Mbps making the likes of video calling unusable.

Screenshot of sync page attached.

Openreach have been out multiple times and have verified that the problem is with the line - somewhere between the master socket and the street cabinet - but they've been unable to find it and rectify it.

My only guess is damage to the cables underground when street works have been carried out.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this,? What to ask for? Or other things to check?

I'm at my wit's end and currently trying to get Vodafone to release me from contract. I'd sooner rely on 4G than have to pay for Fibre that's completely useless. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Anne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

anne_gd

Just to close this out, in case it is of use to anyone...

Vodafone released me from contract, waving exit fees, after the complaints department reviewed the account information and noted the multiple visits from Openreach that failed to resolve the line fault. The line also still showed a fault when they tested it while the complaints department were on the phone. 

Kudos to Vodafone for agreeing to part ways amicably. Openreach really are useless.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @anne_gd 

There maybe some help in 》Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs. 

The Vodafone Social Media Team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries will also be able to help.

Please link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi ann,

Welcome to the great Vodaphone service. Read my txt here if you get chance.  Ive had problems with speed with them for 2 months. (Vodaphone superfast 2) It was only ever good for the first 3 days. 30 chats to their help line failed to fix anything.

Tonight im getting 1.6mb/s download and am paying for 55mb/s

I can't get them to fix it, they do nothing but promise everything

I wish you luck , im leaving them soon, they can take me to court if they wish, but i will not pay for something they promised but won't/can't deliver.

Good luck to you

anne_gd

Just to close this out, in case it is of use to anyone...

Vodafone released me from contract, waving exit fees, after the complaints department reviewed the account information and noted the multiple visits from Openreach that failed to resolve the line fault. The line also still showed a fault when they tested it while the complaints department were on the phone. 

Kudos to Vodafone for agreeing to part ways amicably. Openreach really are useless.

Hi, how strange. Vodaphone phoned me today. saying the fault is with the line that goes to the exchange (open reach line), ie how many people are trying to use that 'same line'. Im on a 'Red Line' evidentially'  (their words not mine, 'What I find odd is that Vodaphone knew my line (they had the number of my phone). And even stranger ....my neighbour who lives  (very very near my house) gets speeds in excess of 70mb/s whilst I am getting 1.94 mb/s at 22.55 hours on 24 April.

Now i know my neighbour isn't telling fibs, so what is going on?.

Vodaphone has offered me 50% off my bills for a few months. Whilst they try and get Open reach to investigate.

Its not really what I want. Im only asking for approx 40 to 50mb/s download. Ill wait and see then switch to BT (Open reach) if nothing changes. They are more expensive and only offer 35mb/s but it maybe worth paying.

@Brentwood - I don't understand. You seem to have some of the details wrong.

If you have 'fibre' broadband, the issue is 99.9999% of the time going to be related to the copper line that runs between your house and the cabinet in the your street (or a few streets over) - google 'FTTC' for more details.

The copper line that runs to your house and the associated infrastructure (street cabinets etc) are owned and maintained by Openreach. Vodafone are just one of many companies that are Openreach customers (as are BT Broadband, Sky, TalkTalk etc). BT Broadband does not have priority over any other service provider for Openreach services.

All line faults need to be fixed by an Openreach engineer (which Vodafone will arrange for you). If you switch providers whilst you have a line fault, it will most likely just delay fixing the line fault, as you will need to get your new supplier to arrange the Openreach engineer.

The only exception to all is Virgin Media who have their own network. There are also a handful of tiny companies that offer 'FTTH' but you're unlikely to be covered by any of them.

Hi again thanks for your reply,  I am an ex electronics engineer (not digital). The trap we are falling into is "The forum here is set up by Vodaphone so us paying customers can try and diagnose our own broardband issues". Even though we are paying Vodaphone for a 'guaranteed minimum speed' . It really is not up to us as customers to do this. After all if you returned a faulty product to a store and they put you touch with 50 other customers who had the same fault with the same product, would you accept that?. Of course not, you would ask the store to 'replace/repair the item. Obviously Vodaphones 'Chat rooms' will help with router placement /interference etc. ".  My problem is the chat rooms go round and round in circles, till you think one of us is mad. Its taken 2 months for Vodaphone to actually phone me and they are I believe a telecoms company. Now, whether what I have been told via the phone by them is true or not ive no way of proving (Yet). But is it really my problem to solve my broadband speed which is fine at 2 A.M......and junk at 7PM.  Vodaphone know what the problem is( I'm sure of that), and have now put it down to cables between Green Box outside my house and the exchange. However my neighbour's cables for broadband goto the same green box. His broadband is fine. ?????

Just to refer to my own electronics job i mentioned . I rented/sold/repaired/maintained,  Televisions/VCR's/Sat systems/HiFi's  etc. Not once in over 45 years did I fail to 'fix' a customers problem. I never lost customers due to my service. My customer was, number 1. I built a very good reputation for doing what the customer was actually paying me for.

P.S.   Sadly Virgin Media is not available in my area, or I would have switch weeks back. 

just recently had fibre optic line everything was fine ,except phone line -thought easy fix but no one fixed it..

I think the modem is somehow faulty or the number needs a new adress but we opted to keep the old line number unfortunatly .We are still being charged but have no phone service,Now the upload speed has dropped so my husband and kids have problesm with the latest games ,We keep being told to wait and it will be fixed in 24 hrs a few days five days etc ..We are starting to think they are waiting for the cancellation time to run out .We hope they are at least going to fix it-the service is very bad .so far...