Ask

Solution

Would a line reset help?

Malp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This is my final plea.

Recap...

About 12 months ago my sync speed dropped from around 7.2mb to 5.2mb.

Since then sync speed has been a constant 5.2mb.

If more than one person is  using the BB then its useless.

My question is... would a line reset help? Have read about DSLAM etc on the forum.

When contacting Vodafone their standard reply is that they are supplying the minimum speed. This misses the point that the speed dropped by over %25 

To be fair to Vodafone they have given me 1 month unlimited data on my 4g. Wow!! What a difference when I use my phone as a hotspot. Problem with this is that it ties my phone up and the cell i connect to is 14km away. Good signal is only available in a few areas upstairs.

If I decide to go 4g BB then i would have to change provider as Vodafone do not do landline only and their 4g is very expensive.

Also being a well retired person I don't really want to splash out on 4g mobile. 

I am connected to my test socket. 

I did apply for USO but was quoted over £25,000. I live in a built up area not in the sticks.

3 Files attached show sync from last October, sync now and bt cabinet info.

Please help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Firstly, to answer you question, I don't think a DLM reset would help, however if you could get Vodafone/Openreach to do one it would be interesting to know the results.

Then on to your stats. When you were connecting at a higher speed your SNR was much lower. Now the modem probably didn't connect at that SNR but it had dropped indicating some degradation of the line quality.

The only other difference is that the downstream power has dropped. I really don't know the significance of that, perhaps someone else can enlighten us.

As you are in a built up area, have you asked your neighbours what their broadband is like, and who are they with?

Also are you in a flat or apartment as sometimes the building's internal wiring can cause problems.

If you are out of contract you could try changing supplier in the hope they may be willing to get Openreach to at least try to get the best from your line.

Thanks for replying.

I am not in a flat or apartment.

Some of my neighbours do get better speeds .   

Who would I ask for a reset?  Speeds are never going to be great here due to being 1.5km from the cabinet.   Although there are closer cabinets there is no way I can get it changed. Vodafone say we are within the minimum service specified.

I have ordered FTTP but the company supplying does not know when they will be in this area.

Am thinking of porting my landline no and using 4g BB from Three.

Thanks 

Thanks.

I have thought about going back to Plusnet as they might reset the lines.

Seemed to be more reactive with line checking.

Either that or 4g.

A couple of near neighbours have Starlink. At 77yrs I cant afford that 🙂

Thank you for looking.

Jayach

I have never tried PlusNet, and as they are owned by BT, may have more "pull" with Openreach.

What speeds did you have with them?

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

You could try the 30 minute break and re-connect of your router/modem, in the hope it will re-negotiate a better throughput.

ELSE the 17070 number on the LandLine and run thru the options, especially the 'quiet line' test,

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test