Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

software for online speed test

phionex99
4: Newbie

hi there i was having trouble with my speed test through my browser i got hold of software by microsoft with Ookia speed test and it give you a good idea of your true speed i use all the time  even through my vpn

17 REPLIES 17

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Ookla speedtest has nothing to do with Microsoft, but yes it is probably the most used test out there.

Vodafone even have their own version. Internet speed test | Vodafone UK

Ripshod

I don't use Windows anymore but check out the Microsoft store - there is an Ookla speedtest app for the desktop. I used to use it myself. 

go on the Ookla speed test web site it is on there that is where i got it from

Cynric

There are also CLI versions of the Ookla speed test for alternative operating systems.

Jayach

I hadn't thought about the store, but being on the store doesn't mean it's Microsoft. I'm still an old fashioned Windows user, I rarely use Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, if another version is available.

However I do use the Ookla app on my Android phone.

hi there my speed on testing it on line with the Firefox i got my self a adapter Ethernet to usb  3 and bingo the speed is showing 930mb down and 111mb up with the one on the mother board i was lucky to get 400mb 😃😊

Jayach

@phionex99 

Good to hear you are now able to get the speeds you expect.

People just expect the devices they have to be able to work at the latest speeds, without realising that hardware specs are improving all the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jayach  

"Ookla speedtest has nothing to do with Microsoft, but yes it is probably the most used test out there.

Vodafone even have their own version. Internet speed test | Vodafone UK"

I did a comparison between the VF browser test and the Ookla desktop test.   I used both on the same machine within a minute of each other using the Bracknell VF server. The VF test gave me a higher ping,  significantly lower down speed and slightly lower upspeed.   You can see for yourself when the images get approved.

I repeated the comparison five times.  Every time the difference was consistently greater than in my example. I couldn't get > 900Mb on the VF download test. 

Screenshot 2023-05-23 134622.jpgScreenshot 2023-05-23 134426.jpg

Cynric

@Anonymous  There are probably slight differences in the code versions between browser (likely to be JavaScript) and desktop.