Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

00800 International freephone numbers

Adamoc
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I need to call a technical support line that starts 00800. Apparently it's an international freephone number.

I've spent about 90 minutes trying to find out if it's free  to call on my Vodafone landline.  No one seems to know. Cant see it on the call cost sheet ither and I've really run into a brick wall and they said they cant help further.

Does anyone know the answer. I tried using my Voxi mobile but it was 45p a minute and I'm likely to be on a while, so expensive.  I tried Ofcom to see if there's an industry standard, but that said Vodafone should be able to tell me the tariff, but they won't. 

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Daft idea....

If you could find a BT phone box in the street, that wasn't a toilet, and tried from there?

Or almost any payphone in a public place.

Check your balance prior to making a call, then after 2 minutes or so hang up and check your balance again.

That might give a clue.

Also who/what is the number for, a company or ?????   

I could do that if I could find one, but I need to be in front of the device I'm calling about. It's a technical helpline for western digital and the device needs to be plugged in. Thanks for the idea anyway.. It may be free on BT but no guarantee it'll be free on my Vodafone line.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Adamoc 

00800 is a universal international freefone number and worldwide toll free number isssue by the ITU .  The call is free from a landline and the receiver pays the charges.

I am sure the Social Media Team will get to the thread and confirm this for you.

Thank you, this is so helpful.

I will now call the number. I wish they would make this clear on the call tariff sheet , which includes other free numbers, and also tell the customer service agents. It would have saved me a lot of messing about.

Thanks again.

True.

caveat...

00800 number call costs

Calls to 00800 numbers are free from most major landline companies. However, mobile phone companies apply a range of different call rates and sometimes charge their full international calling rate.

It is advisable to check call costs with your phone company before calling.

Fat chance.

You're right. I first called from my Voxi mobile and found out it was 45p per minute, so will definitely use the landline!

I tried to call 

00800 23599999 but there's no answer. What is the exact number I should dail from the UK?