cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Vodafone transfer a copper landline to Digital Voice service when upgrading from FTTC to FTTH?

mfs1011
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

We are VOD customers of two year's standing. After we joined Vodafone, BT Openreach started switching the whole of our town to FTTH. We are now upgrading to FTTH and staying with Vodafone for both internet and landline service. So I'd like to know if my landline service is likely to change when Openreach install the ONT next week. 

There has been no mention of any change to the landline, so on the face of things, it's possible that the existing copper landline will continue to provide voice service. But I still wonder whether there's been a lapse in comms between BT Openreach and Vodafone and I may end up with a digital voice service and plugging my phone into the Vodafone Router?

Has anyone been through this and could advise? Do I need to shop around for a digital voice handset? TIA.

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I started with vodafone on fttc just over a year ago, and upgraded to FTTP this year. I kept the same phone number.

You're on fttc do I'd assume superfast or superfast 2. These can be provisioned over fttp so I assume as it's not an upgrade (it's re provisioning) and as nothing has been said to the contrary you should keep the same landline number. You'll just have to connect your home phone to the tel1 port of your router using the newly defunct modem lead.

However recently there's been a thread posted by a customer who was given a new number.

It does sound as if you'll keep your existing number though. 

Jayach

Yes you will be transferred to digital voice, but your existing handsets or DECT phones can still be used, They will connect into the router instead of the BT sockets. The router has an ATA ( analog telephone adapter) built in.

Hope it goes well. 😀

CrimsonLiar

I'm assuming you mean FTTP, because FTTH would have no ONT and the possibility to retain a conventional phone line - if that were in the plan!

Jayach

I honestly  don't understand the difference between FTTP and FTTH, as far as I know they are different names for the same thing.

Ripshod

@Jayach I was the same. The methods are the same it's just the definitions have become intermixed.

https://www.telenco-networks.com/en/all-you-need-to-know-about-fttp-networks

By definition domestic full fibre installs are FTTH except for MDUs which are true FTTP. 

Jayach

@Ripshod 

I read the article you linked to, and I still don't understand the difference. I'm going to stick with FTTP.