cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does anyone know the reason why Vodafone can't port a landline number.

Wilfy100
2: Seeker

I am in the process of swapping from Virgin Media to Vodafone for home Broadband and landline phone.

For some reason that I do not know, Vodafone are unable to port my existing landline number.  No less than 3 Vodafone representatives have confirmed that they can't  (will not ?) do it. I assume they are aware of Ofcom regulations but think they can get away with it.

The story is as follows, I arranged the swap to Vodafone several months ago, but this had to be cancelled because Openreach needed to come into my house to sort out the old BT phone line. At that time Coronavirus restrictions meant they could not do that. Vodafone did send a request to Virgin to port the number at that time. The swap over was basically put on hold until I could have the old BT line sorted out. Now it seems something has mysteriously changed and I have to have a new landline number, why. Also I was told that when the swap went ahead I would pay the £29.95 monthly rental that I had signed up to. This has now gone up to £33. Not a good start so far. Separately could anyone confirm that I will not need splitters on each phone line in the house to separate the broadband signal from landline calls just one on the main socket. I have been with Fibre broadband ever since cable and wireless first installed fibre in my area, along time ago. I have lost touch with phone line broadband practises as the last time I had that was with a 56 Kb/s Dial up Modem.

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Wilfy100 wrote:
Separately could anyone confirm that I will not need splitters on each phone line in the house to separate the broadband signal from landline calls just one on the main socket.

Can't comment on the porting query, but as long as Openreach install a new VDSL master socket you will not need filters. The filtering is done within the socket.

Edit: If you look at this post it seems Openreach don't always connect the home wiring to the new socket.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Landline/td-p/2666612/ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Swapping from Virgin Media to any other provider can be a little more problematic than any other transfer.  There are some areas where there are technical reasons why you can't port a Virgin number out - OFCOM are aware and it's been a headache for years.  In this case, for once the culprit is very much Virgin Media!

If you use plugin xDSL splitters then you'll need one plugged into each telephone socket.  However, if you get an NTE 5C master socket with the MK4 splitting face plate, and plug in the modem/router to this as the master socket, then your extensions can be wired in such that they are all filtered.

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

VM insisted they had done everything to allow my number to be ported.

So I got a temporary number on the Thursday, and my ported number on the Friday.

VM kept my landline on their system for a further 3 weeks, apparently a tick box had not been ticked by them, although they had for 3 weeks insisted it had.

They have a level of incompetence that is rarely matched, but VodaFone seem to aspire to the crown.

So I can empathise, but offer no real help, although shouting at VM does sometimes help.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Wilfy100 👋 As @Anonymous advised, in some areas we're unable to port a landline number from Virgin Media. As we'll need access to your account to take a closer look and confirm if this is the case. Pop us a message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. If you pop a link to this thread in your post, we'll be happy to check for you.

Thanks for the replies but the situation has now changed. Because Vodafone mobile sim contracts could not match another vendor and I took the other vendors offer, I was going to be charged an extra £2 per month for my home broadband. This was because I no longer had both mobile and broadband from Vodafone. I have therefore cancelled the Vodafone broadband and gone with another provider. So far I have been promised by the new provider that my number will be ported over. Clearly the home broadband market is very price sensitive as my new provider is £120 per year cheaper for the same thing. To provide full clarity I am moving from Virgin media for cost reasons, There was a specific technical issue with the Virgin TIVO box which I believe could be sorted but since I am leaving them I will not be looking into this. I suspect that in 12 months time I will need to check pricing again and possibly another provider swap. This is in contrast to Virgin who I have been with for so long I can't remember when it was when I started with them. I am wondering if home broadband is like car insurance, as a new customer you get a good price and then it jumps up in price (sometimes massively) when you come to renew.

STEVE_1956

Interesting as Virgin piggy back off VF Broadband. To be honest I wouldn't bother VF are crap they lost my landline number due to a problem I had with my signal dropping on my .Broad Band and set.me.up with a new connection, and the staff member failed to tick the keep existing number so uts gone. And she worked in the directors complaint office.

Need I say more 

Jayach

@STEVE_1956 wrote:

Interesting as Virgin piggy back off VF Broadband.

What??? Can you explain more.