Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I plug my phone into router?

Chucklechops
2: Seeker

This may be a stupid question but here goes: So I got Gigafast installed the other day but the guys couldn't complete the installation because the line was down. Broadband is working now.

Seems that you connect your phone to the router rather than the box on the wall. The sockets on the Vodafone hub are RJ11, however, and my phone has a standard BT431 like most UK phones.

How do I plug my phone in?

34 REPLIES 34

Chucklechops

Thanks for replying Ann,

Like I say, this is a Gigafast FTTP installation. It uses CityFibre's fibre infrastructure rather than BT's so the landline has to go over fibre via the Vodafone router Tel ports

Hi

I have a VF router (and have had VM router) where you can plug your phone into the back, usually 2 ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=a7QhJAfPxK4

VF Router telephone ports.png THE GREEN ONES.

And as mentioned earlier they may NOT match all phone cables.

I've just had (Openreach FTTP) Gigafast installed. The OR engineers installed the new line, (outside) box, (inside) ONT box and connected the Vodafone router that I was sent. The engineers kept my phone connected to my current BT master socket, but now (literally) BT have ceased their service and I need to connect my telephone to the VF router. The box for the router clearly states an adapter will be provided - one was not provided, either in the box, or by the installers.

Below is a picture of the box clearly stating how to connect my telephone to the router and the equipment that is required, and provided, to do so. Or am I mis-reading it?

IMG_20201021_212723.jpg

I've just been on Live Chat and apparently one will not be provided. They provide a micro filter (which the agent frustratingly thought I was asking about) but apparently if you're using VOIP then it's apparently not reasonable/logical for an adapter to be provided to enable that; despite the fact the box says one will be.

So I am now without telephone.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I made a daft suggestion so I have deleted it. Sorry.

Does no-one from Vodafone participate in these forums?

Anyway, just to expand on BadMojo's post for anyone else with this problem:

The thing you need to get your phone working that Vodafone don't give you is this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/

Thank you for the link. £3.49 and with prime it will be delivered tomorrow. Now I’m sure Vodafone, as such a big company, could bulk buy these. I don’t think it would greatly impact their profits. 

Are you sure tis works? Which end fits into the router? Well of course it must be the thing shown. But does it fit into the router, and does the original BT type connector fit into the other end?

The one we got was: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081K4C92W/

The male RJ11 on the adapter plugs into the router. 
The phone then plugs into the female BT socket on the adapter.

This adapter was the solution for my Dad and has been working fine for many months. 

Vodafone should really supply this adapter with the router.

Just to note that after having experienced the same issue as described above (I.e. landline showing no connection when plugged into phone socket in newly installed THG3000, in my case using RJ11 to RJ11 cable connector) connection issue was resolved by Vodafone help desk using remote reconfiguration of router and a reboot from my side (no special adaptor required in this case). So it’s still worth persisting with help desk If you’ve got a few hours to spare!