main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Landline

How do I plug my phone into router?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@heathhh wrote:

Almost a year on from the other messages in this thread and this is still a problem. No way to connect a phone to the router.

Is your dad getting FTTP installed? If so the installers are expected to supply the adapter cable. (I am not sure the installers know this, but it seems to be what Vodafone expects)

Otherwise an adapter cable is pretty cheap. rhinocables® RJ11 Plug to BT Socket with tail Telephone Adaptor White: AmazonSmile: Electronics

If your dad currently has Careline or similar be aware they may not work with VOIP lines.

View more options
heathhh
2: Seeker

Thanks for the response..

He already has FTTP (that's what was pre-installed in his retirement flat). He is switching from BT, so no engineer visit required.

Glad I decided to walk him through the router swap over before the go live day, otherwise I would have not know until it was too late.

View more options
Jayach

How was/is the phone connected when on BT?

View more options
heathhh

Via the ONT (fibre modem) phone socket. 

I was under the impression (I could be very wrong) that this doesn’t work with the Vodafone service ( and newer BT installs - my ONT phone port is dead And I have to use the smart hub 2 port).

View more options
Jayach

@heathhh wrote:

Via the ONT (fibre modem) phone socket. 

I was under the impression (I could be very wrong) that this doesn’t work with the Vodafone service ( and newer BT installs - my ONT phone port is dead And I have to use the smart hub 2 port).

I think you are probably correct and the phone socket on the ONT will no longer work. (But I also don't know for certain that is true, and as you have found, asking Vodafone is pointless).

Looks like you will need to get an adapter cable in preparation for the day, or stay with what you know works.

If you tell B.T what Vodaphone are offering, they may try to match it. Make sure you get through to retentions (or what ever they call it) as they are able to make the best offers.

View more options
heathhh

Thanks for the reply. 

BT retentions called my Dad. BT were ripping off an old man. They are charging him £65 for what we will get for £30 on Vodafone. 
They couldn’t match it. 

I have ordered the adapter recommended on this thread. He should have it before he goes live. 

Thanks for your help!

View more options
Jayach

Good luck, hope it goes well. Let us know, it will be helpful should others ask a similar question on swapping from BT.

Edit: Out of interest, what service are you going for?

View more options
heathhh

The service is : Superfast 2 plan.

Latest update:

Vodafone called back and said that we should plug the phone into the socket on the ONT.  I can confirm this does NOT work. The phone port on the ONT is dead.

You do require the adapter cable to plug into the back of the router. I haven't tested this yet, as the order from amazon was lost in shipping and my Dad has no land line.

So advice for anyone else.... Don't bother calling Vodafone they are clueless. You need an adapter cable and plug your phone into the back of the router.

View more options
Jayach

@heathhh wrote:

So advice for anyone else.... Don't bother calling Vodafone they are clueless. You need an adapter cable and plug your phone into the back of the router.

So many people are going for FTTP now, they really should supply one in the box.

View more options
Gorilla68

Encountered the same problem. Installation of FTTP which seems to have all gone well. The new Openreach wall socket has been installed but has no way to plug in the UK phone. Contacted Vodafone by webchat and, after the normal long winded messing around, they said they wouldn't provide the adaptor, said I should buy one myself but offered to credit my account with £5.

So, I'm not out of pocket but had to go through a lot of messing around to understand the problem and then contact Vodafone to overcome something that they said would be provided.

I seem to be sorted but not a good experience.

View more options
SteveKiley

Are you sure tis works? Which end fits into the router? Well of course it must be the thing shown. But does it fit into the router, and does the original BT type connector fit into the other end?

View more options
heathhh

The one we got was: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081K4C92W/

The male RJ11 on the adapter plugs into the router. 
The phone then plugs into the female BT socket on the adapter.

This adapter was the solution for my Dad and has been working fine for many months. 

Vodafone should really supply this adapter with the router.

View more options
Jayach

@SteveKiley wrote:

Are you sure tis works? Which end fits into the router? Well of course it must be the thing shown. But does it fit into the router, and does the original BT type connector fit into the other end?

This thread is about using Vodafone's VOIP phone service on FTTP, it will not work on FTTC. (In case that is what you have)

View more options