main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Landline

How do I plug my phone into router?

Chucklechops
2: Seeker

This may be a stupid question but here goes: So I got Gigafast installed the other day but the guys couldn't complete the installation because the line was down. Broadband is working now.

Seems that you connect your phone to the router rather than the box on the wall. The sockets on the Vodafone hub are RJ11, however, and my phone has a standard BT431 like most UK phones.

How do I plug my phone in?

View more options
32 REPLIES 32
Chucklechops

Thanks for replying Ann,

Like I say, this is a Gigafast FTTP installation. It uses CityFibre's fibre infrastructure rather than BT's so the landline has to go over fibre via the Vodafone router Tel ports

View more options
KeithAlger
16: Advanced member

Most UK phones actually use an RJ11 to BT431 cable, so it's usually a case of just getting an RJ11 to RJ11 cable.  If however, you have a phone with the cable hardwired then you can always buy a simple adapter.

View more options
clint_flick
11: Established

Hi

I have a VF router (and have had VM router) where you can plug your phone into the back, usually 2 ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=a7QhJAfPxK4

VF Router telephone ports.png THE GREEN ONES.

And as mentioned earlier they may NOT match all phone cables.

View more options
BadMojo
3: Seeker

I've just had (Openreach FTTP) Gigafast installed. The OR engineers installed the new line, (outside) box, (inside) ONT box and connected the Vodafone router that I was sent. The engineers kept my phone connected to my current BT master socket, but now (literally) BT have ceased their service and I need to connect my telephone to the VF router. The box for the router clearly states an adapter will be provided - one was not provided, either in the box, or by the installers.

Below is a picture of the box clearly stating how to connect my telephone to the router and the equipment that is required, and provided, to do so. Or am I mis-reading it?

IMG_20201021_212723.jpg

I've just been on Live Chat and apparently one will not be provided. They provide a micro filter (which the agent frustratingly thought I was asking about) but apparently if you're using VOIP then it's apparently not reasonable/logical for an adapter to be provided to enable that; despite the fact the box says one will be.

So I am now without telephone.

View more options
Jayach
16: Advanced member

I made a daft suggestion so I have deleted it. Sorry.

View more options
Chucklechops

Does no-one from Vodafone participate in these forums?

Anyway, just to expand on BadMojo's post for anyone else with this problem:

The thing you need to get your phone working that Vodafone don't give you is this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/

View more options
Tash

Hi @BadMojo, that's strange! I'd advise speaking with the dedicated Gigafast team when calling 08080 044 668 and they'll be able to confirm whether the phone adaptor should have been included with your particular package. If so, they can help with getting this sorted for you.

View more options
johnoverall

My Gigafast went live yesterday and I also learned that no adapter is supplied and my current BT synergy phone is no good when plugged into the router. 

Is there a cheap VOIP cordless handset available? Or will the adapter fix the issue with my old analogue phone?

View more options
johnoverall

@BadMojo have you had any luck resolving this at all please? Now find myself in the same boat having had decent service but no firm resolution from Vodafone support. 

View more options
Chucklechops

Hi John, as I say above:

I connected my old analogue phone with this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVS5UZ2/

All the best

View more options
johnoverall

Thanks for your response.

• My Synergy isn't hardwired so i used the rj11 lead that came with the gigafast. Isn't that just the same as using the adapter?
View more options
Mark

Our Gigafast team will be able to help advise on how to get your phone connected to your new router @johnoverall. You can call them from any UK number on 08080 044 668.

View more options
johnoverall

Brought a cheap adapter as advised and I now have a working phone. Thank you. Weird that a direct rj11 connection wasn't good enough. 

View more options
BadMojo

I ended up getting the problem fixed, but without any help from Vodafone (which I understand to be par for the course). I had a brainwave and dug out the box for my telephone, which is a Siemens VOIP phone. There was a spare cable with the correct plugs on, which I'm now using.

If Vodafone made it perfectly clear that the phone service would be VOIP and your phone would have to be plugged into the router and that you'd need a specific type of cable which is NOT provided, then fair enough - but they have done/do none of those things. Very poor.

View more options
Evie

Hey @BadMojo @johnoverall - I'm really glad to hear you are up and running with your landlines now, I understand it was a hassle to get this resolved so thank you for your ongoing patience with us.

If you did need anything else, please don't hesitate to get on contact

View more options
JohnSw

So another "me too" for this issue - which is how I found this forum.

As I'm taking out the phone option I was told the connector would be supplied by the engineer from Openreach - and the instructions with the router say "if you ordered a telephone package with your broadband we will provide an adapter when we install your fibre connection box".  From what everyone is saying this isn't true, so I'm left without a phone until I can purchase an adapter.

View more options
Daltgin
1: Seeker

Thank you for the link. £3.49 and with prime it will be delivered tomorrow. Now I’m sure Vodafone, as such a big company, could bulk buy these. I don’t think it would greatly impact their profits. 

View more options
Farai

Our dedicated Fibre team may be able to clarify this for you @JohnSw. You can reach out to them directly by calling  08080 034 515 free from any UK mobile or landline 👍 I'd recommend speaking to them before you make any purchases. 

View more options
heathhh

Almost a year on from the other messages in this thread and this is still a problem. No way to connect a phone to the router.

I phoned that number you suggested... It is one of the worst customer support experiences I have ever had.

The person I was talking too clearly was not in possession of the information needed and she repeatedly told me to connect the phone by wifi. 

I was then told to phone the tech team on the "go live" day. I wanted to get this sorted before my 83 year old father is left without a phone line.

We then had a futile exchange of account security details... It seems that I have to answer my Dads security details despite being an authorised representative.

So looks like I have two choices... Cancel the account or buy a cable.

Great service guys... Keep up the good work.

View more options