Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline not receiving or making calls

GryphonM
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have fibre broadband and home phone with Vodaphone. Everything has been fine for the few months up to now, but I got a message from my MIL saying she called but no answer.

Here's the problem.
I picked up the home phone and got a dial tone.
I called the home phone from my mobile and it appeared to be calling, but the home phone didn't ring. While it was trying to connect, I picked up the home phone again and it had a dial tone.

I tried calling my mobile from the home phone but as I was putting the number in, I got a message saying the number you are dialling has not been recognised. This happens for all numbers dialled.

I spoke to webchat and after about an hour and a half they said "I have checked the details, and the line is completely fine and working. You need a VOIP filter to connect your landline to the back of router.

When I asked why it had changed, they said "it is because of incorrect setup so we need to adjust it."

This doesn't make sense as the phone worked perfectly well before today.

They tried to order a filter but said there was a technical issue and they have asked an engineer to contact me in the next 48 hours.

I'm not confident that the issue has been identified correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

There is a voip number active on your router but it's not your number? Reset the router now (recessed button for 10 seconds). This will force your service to be reprovisioned, and hopefully set the correct number on your router.

If that fails then vodafone have messed up and need to own this. 

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

Jayach

It's been working on the PSTN (public switched network) up until now, obviously someone at Openreach has done something which has caused it to stop. As you shouldn't have been on it, it's surprising it has worked this long.

Have you factory reset the router to see if the VoIP there now has your number?

Jayach

@GryphonM wrote:
Our original landline number is the one that's registered to our Vodafone account.

That's good, but somehow Vodafone are configuring your router with an incorrect VoIP profile. You could try a factory reset on the router and see if it no longer picks up the incorrect profile, but that won't resolve the phone line problem.

You could wait to see if the engineer does call, but personally I would get back to them and hope you get a "more on the ball" agent. Point out to them you are not on digital voice. (VoIP)

Ripshod

May have been moved to voip though. There is a history of vodafone doing this without notice. There's also a history of vodafone not being able to keep the original number with the change. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

May have been moved to voip though. There is a history of vodafone doing this without notice. There's also a history of vodafone not being able to keep the original number with the change. 

I hadn't realised the OP was on FTTP earlier, I assumed they were still on FTTC.

As their account has the original phone number on it. I assume the port worked O.K.

But you know what they say about assumptions.

Jayach

@GryphonM wrote:
An engineer came out to install fibre to the house and everything worked from that day.

I missed this bit earlier, you should not be using the BT sockets anymore, you need to connect to the router. Try the factory reset, and connect your phone to the router, hopefully it will then all work.

Ripshod

I was typing that as you were also typing lol. 

Jinx!