Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline that isn't - FTTC - SOGEA

rjhazeld
4: Newbie

Recently transferred from another ISP. Ordered Broadband + landline as thee is no full fibre service here. The emailed paperwork revealed that the land line would be digital voice i.e. voip.  As I need to use my own router i used the infernal Tobi thing to ask whether the voip would work with my Asus GT-AX11000. The response was that it would. The connection went live on the 16th December and the broadband is very good. However, the VOIP information provided is insufficient to get it working using a Grandstream HT-801 analogue telephone adapter (which works like a dream for my other number which was transferred to voip several years ago with a different provider).

There are lots of posts with various settings but none seem to work apparently because the Vodafone router adds some hard coded elements into the voip connection data stream.

Leaving aside the misleading product details and incorrect responses from support I seem to be left with no choice but to abandon the voip unless anyone has been able to discover the extra detail required to get it working.

Has anyone been able to get their former landline number ported to an alternative supplier in a similar situation? I assume the SOGEA setup divorces the landline number from the broadband supply.

Why Vodafone chose to build the ATA into the router rather than supply an ATA such as the HT-801 that many others do is beyond me.

9 REPLIES 9

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Perfect for you

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/td-p/2709457#M1354

IIt works with the Grandstream HT801 that I'm using. You just need to get login and server details from vodafone (good luck)

User id/password/server/proxy server. The user ID is used in two different places in the settings. 

Thanks for the quick reply, I did get the sip user id, registration and proxy addresses without difficulty.  It's good to know that you have succeeded, I'll have to try harder to get the settings right and make sure there is nothing conflicting between the other ATA and the new, for Vodafone, one.

Ripshod

I assumed you were using or planning to use your own third party router. I can't see this working as vodafone likely direct the relevant ports to the built-in ATA. If the 'phone' light on the THG3000 isn't lit there isn't a digital voice service on your connection and it won't work. If the light is lit then you can try but likely it won't work.

If the 'phone' light is lit on the vodafone router then the connection is there. You just need to iron out your grandstream settings. Don't forget to set vodafone's dns servers on the relevant page.

In the Grandstream 'Basic Settings' tab assign a static IP and gateway (where I've struck-out in red) and copy the rest. A static IP will make it easier to find again.

Screenshot_2023-01-03-16-30-21-71_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643~3.jpg

 Do this with your asus router. 

Thanks, waiting for the image to come through but sounds like that will be very helpful.

Success!!

Thanks, Ripshod,  your HT-801 settings plus a static IP have solved the problem. There were a couple of settings that I had different values in. I was slightly pessimistic as I could not get the dial plan values to save in the HT-801. However, on rebooting it 'registration' completed and it started working.  I was also able to call my existing voip number (which is on a separate HT-801) and vice versa. So all good for now at least.

All was well until a sipvicious call followed by a string of 301 callers. I changed 'Allow Incoming SIP Messages
from SIP Proxy Only:' from no to yes and that has solved the problem so far.

Ripshod

Good catch. I've already changed this setting on mine (I'm sure it's set to 'yes' in my screenshot).👍

Jayach

@rjhazeld wrote:

Why Vodafone chose to build the ATA into the router rather than supply an ATA such as the HT-801 that many others do is beyond me.

Which ISPs supply a separate ATA, the major ones, Sky and BT don't?

@rjhazeld wrote:

Leaving aside the misleading product details and incorrect responses from support 

This is Vodafone, you will get used to it.

Jayach,

Talk Talk for one.

I'd rather not get used to it thank you, it isn't good for life expectancy. Hopefully I will not need to engage with them again during the remains of the two year contract.