Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Number transfer after taking out broadband contract

darrenmarklines
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This is long winded, but I want others to know my experience.

On the 20th January I was contacted by the vodafone sales team and was offered fibre broadband, I accepted the offer under the caveat that I want to transfer my home phone number from Virgin media once I was happy the install was up-and-working. The Sales person said that would not be a problem, checked with his manager as I repeatedly checked that this would be ok, again he said it would not be a problem and to just contact customer services when I was ready.

The install happened smoothly with plenty of comunication leading up to the install from Vodafone and City Fibre. Waited a couple of weeks to make sure I was happy, then contacted the customer services to begin the transfer. I was told that it was not Vodafone that handled this, but Virgin. I contacted Virgin, they said it was Vodafone and whilst talking to them I gave my notice on the Virgin media contract.

Contacted Vodafone again, was put on hold with a customer services agent whilst she looked up what to do, after about an hour of holding the line when dead.

Rang again, put on Hold again for about 50 minutes to then be told that it would not be possible to transfer the home number from Virgin as this can only happen at the point of taking the contract out, the agent said she could cancel my current contract and start a new one without any cost, but I would be without internet. I agreed as I still have the Virgin running. This was organised for March 15th. After putting the phone down, I then received a series of emails telling me I owed Vodafone about £700 of contract termination fees and that a new contract would be £13 more a month than I am currently contracted for. Rang customer services again...

Spoke to an agent who cancelled the contract cancelling. Then spent a further hour on hold whilst she tried to work out what had happened. Finally she came back and said that there was no way to 'port' my existing home phone number that I have had for over 20 years without it costing me a termination fee. She said she would raise this as a complaint and that I was to contact them again in a week to give them time to find the recording of the original sales call to prove that I was telling the truth.

Waited a week and rang customer services again yesterday, was put on hold for half an hour again whilst the agent looked up what to do, I was then transferred to another agent in a different team who had no clue what to do, put me on hold for 40 minutes whilst she tried to find out. Finally came back to say that there is no record of asking to retrieve a recording of the sales call, that none of the people she had talked to could understand why retrieving the call could help, and the reason I cannot transfer the number is because City Fibre had run out of lines? When I explained again I have working internet and all I want is to transfer the number she said there was nothing they could do. Suggested I contact the complaints department. The number I was given goes to a message that the department is closed.

Tried the on-line chat today as I wanted a record as I’m fed up with nobody being able to help, I was bounced between different departments, none of whom can help. Got transferred back to broadband help where the person obviously had not read any of the previous chat, said to me the order was placed without a number transfer and then the on-line chat died, presumably I was hung up on. No chat history, just a blank page.

Cannot possibly express how bad my experience trying to resolve this has been.

I know don't know what to do, I've had my number for over 20 years and fear it will be lost. I was promised that it would be a simple process and my notice period for Virgin Media is coming to an end.

Darren

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

That is a terrible state of affairs, but as soon as you said you hoped to transfer you number after joining, I knew it was unlikely to happen. Also the fact it was on Virgin makes it even worse.

I really don't know how you are going to keep your number, but if it is important to you, the only thing I can think of is, as you still have it on Virgin, transfer it to a VoIP provider, and a least it will still be in your possession.

How you use it after that, will be the next problem.

With the ending of the PSTN (Public switched telephone network) soon, landline numbers are becoming less important, some broadband suppliers don't even provide them.

Ripshod

This really is strange. Vodafone don't normally cold call anyone. Is this change in tactics a sign for the future? 

@Ripshod wrote:

This really is strange. Vodafone don't normally cold call anyone. Is this change in tactics a sign for the future? 

I was cold called to take up their broadband service about 7 years ago. I did have my mobile with them so perhaps not  totally a cold call. They also seem to use a 3rd party company to call when you're eligible for a phone upgrade. I have had a few of those over the last 10 years. I have been offered deals that I said I wanted to check out before committing. When I checked and called VF to take the offer, they didn't know anything about it.

Ripshod

As @Jayach suggested I think your only option now is to port your virgin landline to a voip provider.

Let's not look down on what could be a positive - carrying your 20 year old landline in your pocket wherever you go. A service such as sipgate basic is free unless you make calls, and even then the rates are pretty good. 

CrimsonLiar

The problem is that some Virgin (and Kingston comm) numbers remain unportable!  Until the exchanges the numbers connect to are removed that'll probably remain the case.  It's an issue that goes back to how the Virgin network came to be from the merging of local Cable TV companies and the rafts of different equipment that hasn't been replaced if it didn't need to be!