Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using different handset with VoIP

mdbloomfield
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So I'm the latest person to renew their contract with Vodafone for home broadband, and without realising that included moving to SoGEA and my landline number has been ported to the Vodafone Digital Voice platform. I'm in an area where FTTP is still a few years away, but getting good FTTC

Except as I'm not using the Vodafone router (I was getting wifi drops and poor coverage, plus it's not the most visually appealing of routers), and I'm using a Draytek modem + Ubiquiti router, I can't use the magical VoIP adapter in the back of the router and at the moment "I have no landline phone".

So a few questions to try and get some facts

- can I source my own alternative handset that plugs into an RJ45 socket, and get the creds from Vodafone to talk to the Vodafone VoIP system?

- If not, do Vodafone sell RJ45 socket based phones that still avoid using the adapter?

- If still no, is there a different adapter I need to convert my old analog handset to use RJ45 socket that would work?

- if all else fails, and I have to port my number away, does that upset the broadband contract under "early termination"

I realise that the world is going away from PSTN and needs SoGEA, and I use a VoIP system at work all day long, but surely using the preconfigured Vodafone router isn't the only way to translate the traffic to talk to their VoIP system?

1 REPLY 1

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Some of us have already done what you seem to want to do. We've done all the testing and figured it out for ourselves. This thread became a bit of a story, and has since become a bit of a troubleshooting guide too. Enjoy -

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/td-p/2709457/