Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP phone not hang up after caller does

andrewinstirlin
4: Newbie

Has anybody had a problem with gigafast VoIP not dropping line at end of an incoming call and making a a high pitched whine until the call is cancelled by me (by physically hanging up). It is most noticeable with answering machine where the message ends and the far end puts the phone down  and the whine starts  and continues until I physically hang up on my phone.

37 REPLIES 37

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @andrewinstirlin, I've not come a cross this before. Can you please drop us a private message on social media here please?

jcbanjo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I believe I have the same problem with my cordless phone. Calls are received ok but if it goes onto answer phone 

once the message is recorded the phone emits a high pitched whistle ,any ideas as to why this happens I have tried the phone manufacturer but they could not help

Hi there---i very much doubt it is a phone fault. I spent a lot of time with their 2nd line technical folk. They did something to my router...which didnt seem to work...then got me to use, in place of the phones own cable (ie the one from the phone to the router),  the white lead that was sent with the router (the one marked "internet") ....well they actually sent me a replacement because I had lost the original. The instructions dont tell you to use this cable by the way! 

That seemed to have fixed the fault...for now. 

They told me they are aware of this issue and it seems to be that their own cable is 'better quality' than the one that comes with the phone. I asked why the instructions didnt tell you to use this cable......mmmm...

Hope this works.

Hi

Wii try another cable as suggested, but thought I would add some info to my message which may or may not be relevant to the problem

up to September of 2019 I was supplied with my Broadband, TV, and phone line via a different supplier. I used the cordless phones with the service with no problems.

During September due to the ever increasing cost from the supplier and the fact that Vodafone had laid their

Gigafast cable in our street I decided to give them a try.Having set up the phone to the new system ,as soon as I received a message on the answer phone the whistle started ,I thought the phone was faulty and purchased a new set of cordless phones ,but low and behold the same problem was still there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jcbanjo, this is definitely something we'd like to look into with you. Please could you drop us a message over Facebook or Twitter here 

Hi

I had a message to contact Jack the Moderator either by Facebook or Twitter I do not have accounts with either

and your online chat seems to be only automated response to set questions.Can I contact by email?

Hey @jcbanjo 

You can't e-mail us but you can give our team a call. It’s free to call us on 191 from a Vodafone mobile or 03333 040 191 from other UK landlines or mobiles (standard call charges apply) 👍

Yup that was exactly same problem as me...different phone made no difference...

AnnieBody01
4: Newbie

My phone used to work as expected over VOIP for the last year but as of late I have had the same problems.

Whenever a call is made my answerphone just keeps playing a regular tone even though the call has been terminated. This lasts for the one hour message length unless you manually interrupt it.

Used to work but now doesn't. So in my case it is not the cable.

Calling Vodafone support is a waste of time. They make promises to resolve the issue and get back to you which they do not keep. They have the worst customer care/support of any company I have ever had to deal with. They lied to get my custom now appear to lie just to get you off their back.

I now have no choice but to cancel the service once my contract expires and go back to an alternative service:  in the meantime they leave me no choice but to put up with this.

Does the ombudsman help where the provider refuses to resolve the issue?