Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G or not 5g

dwizzo
4: Newbie

We signed up to a 5G gigacube even though only 4g in our area at the time...wanted the unlimited data package and also hopeful of the in our area at some point over 18m contract period. While service has been mostly good, noticed recently that the network status checker was showing good the coverage indoors and out in our area (CR5 3EZ)...and not just where we live but for quite a way around us. However, gigacube still showing 4g light (actually connecting to 4g+, but still 4g. Phoned help desk and they said that the network status checker was wrong...I suggested that an occasional error was fine, but the page had been showing 5G for several days now and as said above, not just a small mistake but seemingly covering quite a large area around us. I appreciate the disclaimer on the checker page, but I have no other way to check whether it is the router / sim ie need deprovisioning / reprovisioning as per other queries on the forum or the checker page is having a fail moment. Person I spoke to on help desk suggested I made a formal complaint as his view was showing no 5G on masts near us...I did ask if he could raise the issue but apparently not!

Any help would be much appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

My suggestion is to use the template in the following Vodafone thread @dwizzo 

Copy and paste it back here in your own thread and the Vodafone Social Media Team's will take a look and if necessary pass this onto their networking teams.

Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for suggestion...here is the filled out template...

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

the issue is with our gigacube / network status checker it’s latter saying we have 5g but router not connecting.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

CR5 3EZ

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

we have no other 5g option to try...all phones only 4g

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

as above, issues are whether network status page is right or wrong...if right, issue with gigacube, if wrong t needs fixing but at least gigacube is working!

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

issue is whether we have 5g or not

6) When did you first notice this issue?

noticed that network status checker page showing us as 5g at the start of this week (18th Jan)

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

permanent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dwizzo It is odd that you're not getting 5g service if you originally signed up to the 5g service. I'd recommend contacting our Social Media here, linking back to this conversation that we can check the information you've provided here and cross-reference this with your account.

Thanks Jack. Posted link to Twitter. As I said above, when I spoke to help desk, they said that none of the masts near us were 5g enabled. However, that would then be a big fail on behalf of network checker page so something needs to get sorted.

So, had a good chat with online team who said that while lots of masts are 5g enabled around us, 2 are not. They pointed out that the gigacube router will always connect to closest mast and that so happens to be one of the 2 without 5g! How tedious is that...given that the network status checker page says we have good 5g in and out you would have thought that it might do a bit of roaming when it turns on and finds the 5g signal. Sadly though, it seems not. They also had no idea when the 2 masts near us would get updated. As such, options are to move router round the house to see if 5g gets picked up anywhere or wait... I am sure I read somewhere that huaCTRL app can switch off bands on the router, so was wondering whether I could do this and force the router to find the signal...ie turn off the 4g bands on it. However, not that tech savvy so if anyone knows whether this could work...or there might be another option then would be grateful for any help from the wider community. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @dwizzo - I can understand how disappointing this must be. As you already know, it is correct that your Gigacube will connect to the closest mast and if that mast isn't 5G enabled then it'll connect to the best 4G signal that mast can offer. We are always improving our network and if you'd like to sign up for updates on 5G in your area follow the network status checker and tap 'My Alerts' 😊

In regards to the huaCTRL app, I've done a little googling myself and it does look like switching bands is possible on a Huawei router so it just depends if the Gigacube would be compatible. Google is yet to tell me how exactly to switch the band but it might be worth popping a message on a Huawei forum as well to see if they can help 👍

Evie, thanks for that. On the status checker it already says we have good indoor and outdoor 5g available, so not sure what signing up to my alerts would do. Switching bands on and off seems quite easy on the app, so might have to do this if moving the gigacube around the house does not change the connection to 5g.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

No worries @dwizzo 😊 - Ahh yes I see what you're saying. My thinking was that, since the masts you're connected to don't have 5G available our network checker may be able to pick that up and therefor update you on those masts instead of the masts that do have 5G already available.

Update...neighbour just got a 5g phone...they also have a 5g gigacube from VF. They stuck the sim from their router in the phone and got 5g straight away. They then kindly walked the 10yds down to our house and had 4 bars of 5g. I have moved our gigacube all around our house and have not got any 5g reception...which suggests to me that the router is somehow being restricted from accessing 5g. Not great. Not great at all.