Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Status checker says fault fixed but it isn't

C-J-W
4: Newbie

Hi. I reported a fault on Thurs (3 days ago) as the data speed on my gigacube had dropped from 20-30 Mbps to 2-3 Mbps. I was told there was a fault on the transmitter which is a few hundred yards from me and it was being worked on. I received an email late yesterday to say the fault was fixed. However there is no improvement with my speed. I have tried ringing support but for some reason the automated answering voice doesn't recognise what my problem is and there's no option to bypass this to speak to a human. I went onto chat and tried several times to get to chat to someone but I get the message that no agents are available. 

My postcode is OX25 2NY and the mast is located in OX26 1XA

I still have my R218 mobile device which is still registered and active and which used to give me around 10Mbps (it was capped at 10) so I tried that and got the same low speed of 2-3 Mbps so I think that has eliminated my gigacube being the problem.

HOPEFULLY A MOD WILL READ THIS AND GET INVOLVED TO SORT THIS PROBLEM. Meanwhile I'll get back to trying to contact support via chat - using my helpful neighbour's wifi!!!

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

To help the Vodafone Social Media Team's here to help you please use the template in the following link and paste it back here so they can alert their networking teams if deemed necessary @C-J-W 

Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template. 

Further advice in Network-queries-frequently-asked-questions. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

C-J-W
4: Newbie

Post Title:  OX25 – Bicester

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? This happens wherever I put the Gigacube within my home but it has worked fine in its normal location until the fault 3 days ago (Thursday 28 January)

2) What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs? OX25 2NY

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Tried the SIM in my old R218 mobile broadband device and also tried the R218 with its own SIM (the device is still registered and SIM active). This device is capped at 10Mbps and used to give me around 10Mbps but is now only giving me the same speed as the gigacube of 2-3Mbps.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? None.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? It’s a 5G Gigacube (futureproofed!!) but at the moment I just get a 4G signal here.

6) When did you first notice this issue? Thursday 28 Jan at around 4 or 5pm. I had an online chat and was told there was a fault with the local mast. I subscribed to email notifications and had an email at 9pm yesterday saying the fault was fixed, but my speed hasn’t changed.
The fault was listed as a mast in OX26 1XA. According to cellmapper.net the mast ID is eNB ID 505195 Bands 20.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Fault is permanent. I have tried rebooting the Gigacube and my iPhone plus reset network settings on the phone, all to no avail. I am also having the same slow speed on all the other devices in the home, including buffering on the TV.

IT'S GETTING WORSE - HELP PLEASE

Get a fault message when I try to test speed using Vodafone app. Speedtest app shows miserably low speeds. I have a zoom meeting Wednesday morning and at the moment I'm having to log into my neighbour's wifi which isn't the best as I can only just a get a reasonable signal.

Screenshot of the speed tests

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @C-J-W - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now! Our network status checker isn't showing any work in your area, however our back office network systems are showing your closest mast (ID 8642) does have 4G cells down.

We've checked our 'incident log' and our network team is working on getting those cells up and running as soon as possible. I do appreciate that this isn't ideal at all, but rest assured it's being worked on. In the meantime, I would advise giving your Gigacube and any other devices on Vodafone a restart a couple times a day to see if you can jump to a different mast.

Thanks Evie.

I had a couple of online chats yesterday. On the initial one, which was quite long, I was told that there were no faults showing on Network Status Checker, which I knew and which prompted my chat, but unfortunately I had to end the call due to a prior appointment. Later I went back to the chat and was told the same but as I explained to them that my Gigacube was often flashing orange, plus when firing up my old R218 device it was difficult to get a signal at all as it mostly flashed between the red light and the orange they dug deeper and said that there was indeed some maintenance/repair work ongoing and I was asked to wait a couple of days to see if it had been fixed.

So you have confirmed this which is good, i'll just keep fingers crossed that it is fixed sooner or later as my broadband is pretty much unuseable now so I'm logging into my neighbour's.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can see we're working on the problem being experienced by the 4G mast in your area @C-J-W, I'm sure this will be sorted shortly. In the meantime, to help keep you connected, have you tried switching your Gigacube to receive a 3G service? This looks to good in your area and unaffected by the issues affecting your 4G network.  You can switch it to 3G only by following these steps 👉

- Click on the network via the GigaCube web interface.

- Dial under Mobile network> Search mobile network.

- Under Preferred Network Mode, select the desired network mode Auto / 2G Only / 3G Only / 4G Only.

- Press on Save.

This will keep you connected while we get the 4G service up and running again and will save you trying to connect to your neighbours WiFi.

Thanks Mark. I've just logged in and followed your instructions to Preferred Network Mode and it is set on auto with no way to change this no matter what I click on. It's the same for Network search mode too. Any ideas please. My Gigacube is the 5G version which I opted to in the hope that 5G will be available here in the not to distance future.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hmmm, how odd @C-J-W - Could you attach a couple of screenshots of the issue on the interface not letting you select 3G/4G/5G?