Ask

Solution

Data Only SIM Registration

Cryasor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

My first post!

I have recently purchased a data only SIM, on an unlimited plan - great!

I do not own a Vodafone device, phone or hotspot / router,.

The router I have does take a SIM card and is my only source of broadband.

The question is: How do I "register" the SIM (if it was not already completed at the store) when I have no VodaFone device nor a PIN?

Everywhere I go I seem to come up against the "Go to MyVodafone and register" - but this requires a PIN etc., that I do not have.

The SIM is active and works just fine, SO, I am assuming that it became activated as soon as I inserted it in to my router, does this mean no "registration" required? Do I not need to use MyVodafone at all?

OK, slightly more than one question!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Cryasor 

To answer you registration question you will be able to register the SIM for an online account by following these links: 

Getting Started with Mobile Broadband 

Registration 

The SIM would activate when it made a connection to the internet, you will probably need the correct APN settings and these can be found here:  APN settings , you could also need some software for the device here: Mobile Broadband Software 

Hope that helps.

Thank you @AnnS

These are the links of which I am speaking.

The number I have and can enter OK. But the first thing that the next page does is send an SMS / Push notification to the number containing a Security code. How am I to receive this code if the SIM card is in a dongle?

As I stated also, I already have a working SIM card, and APN details have already been entered.

My device is not a Vodafone device, so I am a little perplexed as to how I can continue.

Do I actually need to register at all, if my SIM is working? What does the registration actually give me?

Thanks

AnnS

Hi @Cryasor 

The code will be received as a pop up on the screen.

Thank you @AnnS. 

I believe that this only works on Vodafone routers / dongles (MyFi etc.).

These devices also are set up using thwe VodaFonMobile.wifi link, to which I have no access.

I do not have a Vodafone device, so no notifications can be received using proprietary methods.

What does registration gove me? Is this something I have to do?

Thanks

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Cryasor and welcome to our Community! Registering your account isn't a necessity, but being connected to My Vodafone will allow you to monitor your usage and manage your account. If you're still struggling to do this, we'll be happy to help, pop us a private message through one of our Social Channels, with your name, mobile/account number and a link to this thread and we'll take a look 👀