Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data usage gone over in 3 days!?

Chelseamc2000
4: Newbie

So my plan refresh’s on the 2nd of every month. I have a mobile Wi-Fi  dongle ( Vodafone R218h) I’ve had this device since December 2018.

I decided this would be the best plan for me. 30GB of data a month with an added video pass, costing me £27 a month, which I’m happy to pay. I was told I could use my laptop and my  consul on this box and so I have been doing so since I got the box out and everything was fine! I was told if I was watching YouTube or Netflix it would all come out of my video pass, so I’ve been doing that since, nothing has changed since December and I’ve never ever gone over the 30GB a month! 

I’ve had no issues up until now. 

However this month! I’ve somehow gone over my data, I’ve racked up a bill of £46.50, it might not sound a lot to you but for me that’s a big chunk of money and simply I can’t afford that. Also just to add apparently I managed to do this in the space of 3 days! 3 DAYS!? Now I’m really confused. 

Now I was confused because I’m the only one that uses this device for Wi-Fi. 

If it was the PS4 it would’ve done it the previous months right?  Well that’s what I’m assuming. 

Howver today I’ve read up you cannot use your laptop or consul on this device , which I was told by an assistant manager that I definitely could!?

So today I have learnt I’ve been completely and utterly Mis-sold too. 

To say I’m disappointed with the support from Vodafone is an understatement, it’s been shocking. All I’ve been offered is a free 1GB of data... 1GB like come on? That’s going to really last me the whole month? 

Your video passes don’t even work? 

I have rang up 5/6 times in the last 3 days asking what’s happened and I’ve been told each time that they do not no... now how do you not know? I was promised I would be recredied the money and I would be given 20GB of data for the inconvenience... when I rang the next day to ask why my Wi-Fi had been cut I was told I had no data... I said a women I spoke to had said I would be gifted 20GB of data and apparently that’s not on my notes on the system?? I’m completely annoyed and stressed with this situation...

Why wasn’t I told in the first place that I cannot use certain devices with this Wi-Fi? Why wasn’t I informed when I decided to pay for this? 

Why haven’t I been given any answers? Why have I been left with no Wi-Fi for a WHOLE MONTH because you think I’m to blame? 

Why has this suddenly started happening? 

Is this going to happen every month from now on? 

I’m shocked at this to be honest. I also learnt I can’t have a data cap on this Wi-Fi because I have a video pass... like what!? I’m honestly just disgusted with the way I’ve been treated and if nothing is resolved I WILL cancel this  appalling  Wi-Fi, I’m also going to be lodging a complaint to Ofcom. 

Had I known all this before hand I would never of bothered with this network in the first place. 

You misell your products and when question about it you don’t even know what you’re talking about. 

Also I was sold this product by an assistant manager... so I expect him to know exactly what he’s on about but clearly I was mistaken. 

14 REPLIES 14

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Chelseamc2000 It's a shame to hear of the experience you've had since receiving a higher bill than usual, I understand how unsatisfying this must be. I'd love the opportunity to turn this around for you and get things sorted. So I'm able to do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

Our data also increased massively in late Feb. Take a look at my post on Pay Monthly forum. It sounds like you are having the same problem as us.

@7thCircleOfHell I've just responded to your post on another thread here 😊

This happened to me as well.

Yesterday I topped up 15GB data valid for 90days.

Now I only got 1.1gb remaining???!

Can someone contact me please?

thank you

Make sure the data connections 'Roaming' settings and background data for Roaming are both disabled. 
Once theyre off, your actual real data usage should appear.

Ive had this before and its confusing as hell.  Plus the monthly usage, correlates to your monthly direct debit date, if you have one.

Why cant Vodafone just set the bill to the 1st of the month like everyone else does? 

If there is any confusion with your usage @Pluginz please feel free to reach out to the Social Media team so we can get everything checked out. Just so you're aware, your usage does not correlate to your Direct Debit/ Payment date. The payment date can be altered upon request. 

Thanks for reply again Steph.

I always thought my data ran from the 1st of the month. So i adjust the data usage settings on my phone to go with that.  Thats easy 🙂 
Since the 1st December, my phone is telling me that ive used 11Gb's of data. Thats pretty much spot on and about right.  I used it at 3am a couple of days ago and managed to get a few games and ISO's, brill 🙂

I log into my account on here, look at the data used, and it says, ive got 50Gb left of 120Gb for the month.  I thought eh?, thats not right. 
So i change my phones usage, to the same day as my billing date, which is in the middle of the month, and weyhey, my phone now correlates more or less, the my account on here and says either 47 or 54Gb left, but its wrong. 

From that, its pretty obvious to me, that the end of my monthly usage, is the same as my billing date.  Otherwise, the account data, should say ive got 100Gb odd left, but it doesnt.

Does anything work right with vodafone these days ? Its a struggle to understand any kind of logic in any of it.

Thanks again 🙂

Hi @Pluginz ðŸ‘‹ Sorry it looks like I missed your message above, I was responding to your post about social media. In regards to your billing, your plan allowances sync up to the date that your bill is produced, so if your bill was produced on the 10th of the month that is when your allowance would start. Individual customers can be on a different bill day depending on when their contract started etc. I think the confusion came from when you said your usage correlates to your monthly direct debit date, which would be your payment date, the payment date does not play a part in when your allowances run to and from. I hope that makes things clearer.

The reason we do invite yourself and customers to social media or other channels, is so we can view the account, as we don`t have account access via this channel and accounts can be setup differently especially around billing.

Please let us know if you have any other questions surrounding this ðŸ˜Š

Why thank you Andy, thats actually quite helpful. Sound.

It seems then, that when you start a contract, like i did, on the 16th of the month. This is exactly the date when my data usage ends on my online account.  I had no choice in this.  I wasnt offered the chance to set anything to the 1st of the month.

Funny thing is, i can guarantee, that ive definitely gone over the data usage by this date the 16th, with only like 10gb's left before the 31st say. Done this many many times in the last 12 months, and my bill has never gone up. At this point, If i was to change this back to the 16th, id probably be about -50gb's over usage.
My online account, today, says ive only got 30Gb's of data left.  I'll use that easy in the next few weeks. On my phone, If i set my monthly bill to the 1st of the month, my usage, ive got 80gb's left.

Not sure which one is correct.  Im just gonna blast my data until the end of the month and stick with that. See what happens !

Cheers my man 🙂