Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

vodafone.co.uk address is not working

Pluginz
4: Newbie

Why when i ping vodafone.co.uk, i am getting zero response?

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup vodafone.co.uk
Server: Windows-Phone.mshome.net
Address: 192.168.137.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: vodafone.co.uk
Addresses: 52.31.165.23

C:\Windows\system32>ping vodafone.co.uk

Pinging vodafone.co.uk [52.31.165.23] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 52.31.165.23:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Vodafone is 88.82.17.254.  Not 52.31.165.23

6 REPLIES 6

Effie

Hey @Pluginz The website is up and running as we expect it to be and we aren't receiving reports of it being down. 

Hello Steph, thank you for your reply, appreciated 🙂

Sorry for any confusion here and my fault for not being more accurate in my question. But what i meant was, is the vodafone domain address is not working properly, or even at all.  I agree yes, the website works, as basically, you can call a site, whatever you want.
See, the problem ive got, is every evening from 5pm on the dot, to about 12.30-1am,  my internet is pretty much unusable. 
Tonight, as usual, its been so frustrating.  Its enough to pretty much give up using it, and do something else.  But thats not what im paying for.  The last few weeks its gradually got worse and worse speed wise in the evening.
Tonight, i cant even stream an audio file at 144p.  If you work that out, my internet is being strangled so much, it'll take me over an 1hr and a half to download 100mb's of data.  Thats dyer.

Ive been to festivals years ago with over 40,000 people there, and didnt get this problem. That was on o2 by the way.

Sorry its a long post, but im just not getting anywhere after numerous attempts to report and complain. Trying to make a formal complaint over the phone is a sad state of affairs.
The so called complaints department always try and put me through to technical.  I dont want to speak to the technical department, i want to raise a complaint.  

Anyways, i'll try and explain more as to what i mean.

See, if i do a check of my own IP address, like say on a browser,  it'll tell you what your public IP address is.
I can change my IP/refresh it by restarting my phone and leaving it off for 5 minutes or so, that normally does the trick, but as things are with IP ranges, i'll always have the same IP in an address range.  Thats how it works.

My IP address range tonight is,

85.255.224.0 - 85.255.239.255

Next problem.  Ok, ive now found out my public IP.  I next want to check its origin, so i do a search in a browser, or use a Whois domain search, to simply find where its coming from.

I check the address from my IP, and the domain name always comes back as vodafone.co.uk, in England.

Problem now is, if i try and ping vodafone.co.uk domain, which is where my internet is supposedly coming from, it always comes back as a dead address, with also an IP address from a completely different server name and also in the wrong country.

Domain IP addresses for vodafone.co.uk are,

88.82.17.254, 88.82.17.253, 88.82.16.254, 88.82.16.253

So here, as you can see, my public IP address is in the correct range for vodafone.co.uk.  But when we ping it, we get a different story.

Lets ping vodafone.co.uk

C:\Windows\system32>ping vodafone.co.uk

Pinging vodafone.co.uk [54.76.134.85] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 54.76.134.85:

https://www.whois.com/whois/54.76.134.85
https://www.abuseipdb.com/check/54.76.134.85

As you can see again, the address from the ping, is coming up as Amazon.com.  The IP address range is completely wrong for vodafone.co.uk and doesnt match my IP when pinged. 

So lets ping,  88.82.17.254, which is vodafone.co.uk.

C:\Windows\system32>ping 88.82.17.254

Pinging 88.82.17.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 213.185.194.157: Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 88.82.17.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss).

So lets now ping,  213.185.194.157. Very strange isnt it.

C:\Windows\system32>ping 213.185.194.157

Pinging 213.185.194.157 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 213.185.194.157:

And thats dead aswell.  No wonder my signal is all over the place and my data crap.

If i ping just about any other address, they all come back fine, albeit a very poor ping. 

If you can shed some light on this, and maybe help me get my data working properly in the evenings, that would be great, as ive given up on the phone.

Thanks Plugz 🙂

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pluginz - thanks for taking your time to write this post and I'm sorry for the delay. I can see from your other posts here and here, that it's working ok now 🙂

Hello Gemma 🙂

Id love to say its working properly, but tonight, its back to what it was before.  Cant do much with it again and performance is pathetic.
Struggling to view youtube at 144p.
Its not realiable to use and a pain in the a-r-s-e.
I may have had decent speeds for one night, but thats not good enough.

What gives with Vodafones crappy performance?

If everyone is at home, then surely theyd be using their broadband.  I havnt got that.

This whole scenario is repetitive rubbish. Even mouse scrolling is struggling on webpages, especially the vodafone website. Really messes up my mouse scrolling.  Go to another website and mouse scrolling works as it should.

I aint happy with this crap.  Its not my phone, its not the sim.  
Its clearly something being strangled.  A few days ago it worked alright. Now, its s-h-i-t-e

My post is still valid, the address doesnt work properly. 
Id still like an answer as to why the address doesnt work properly. You dont get off that scot free.
My post hasnt been answered.

It seems like this online team, dont really have a clue, what im talking about.

Do you know how to ping an IP address? Because if you dont, dont answer my post

Sorry Gemma if my post came across rude. I dont mean anything against you personally and sorry if my words seemed abit harsh. Frustrated thats all 🙂

Having a rough time on my internet most nights and want to technically get it fixed.  Not having any luck on phone, to speak with anyone technically minded about my issue.

Another thing thats frustrating is the inability to connect to multiplayer games from the sim and tethered. There probably is a way to do it manually but ive not figured out how to configure that yet.

Peace out and thanks for replying anyways 🙂