Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data - very slow connecting

Confuciousmobil
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I’ve just changed to Vodafone as they were the only network showing good 5G connection in Woking. It turns out that, despite their coverage checker showing good 5G service indoors and out, there is no 5G in Woking.

my 4G speeds on speedtest are good, but when I try and connect to any website it takes forever. I never had a problem on EE and my wife, despite showing much slower speeds on speedtest on O2 has no problem. My mobile data is as good as unusable for web browsing. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

Pluginz
4: Newbie

Its because the speed test servers have zero relation to the actual IP addresses they connect you to on your mobile data.

Im having exactly the same issue as you, and its been really bad these last few weeks.

Doesnt matter whether i select 3g only, 3g, 4g, create my own APN, LTE over 3g, LTE 4g, just doesnt matter.  After about 5pm, it has a quick burst of speed, and slowly cuts in and out, continously.  This really slows it down.
I can see the data signal strength, up and down, up and down, 5 bars, then 1 bar, then 4 bars, then 2 bars. Its like this all night.
For me this is disconnecting and reconnecting in a constant state.  Lowest speed tonight i got on a Javascript less website, was 44kb/s.
After midnight or there abouts, the switching seems to calm down and my internet comes back to a normal state and usable again..
Come 3am, on 4g, i managed a whopping 4mbits - 31.25mb/s, which is what you want.  Thats the only time of the night it works like that. Very poor.
So if youre prepared to change your lifestyle, get a night shift job, its entirely possible to enjoy what youre paying for.  In the daytime so so, but in the evening from 5pm onwards, pfff, forget it.

Speed test servers will be in London for me, or near enough, but my connection is to some crappy amazon.com data centre in Ireland. 
I want an explanation for this but struggling to get any straight answer from any of them on the phone.  Technical support, all of a sudden didnt have any access to anything once i gave them the details.

Check your public IP address out, and see if matches the description in your APN settings.

Because, if my APN says vodafone.co.uk, that is exactly what i expect it to connect and nothing else.

Oh dear.

If I hadn’t transferred my number I would cancel my account.

I think I might have to anyway. I thought Vodafone were supposed to be good for data, but this is unusable.

the fact that their connection is sTill wap.Vodafone.co.uk should have been all the warning I need.

I presume I won’t be able to keep my number if I leave as you can’t get a PAC within 230 days and I need to cancel within 14 days?

thanks for your reply.

Hey man no worries.

Im not entirely sure to be honest. 230 days you say? That cant be right.

I did a little generic reading on the internet and it seems like, if you transfer a number over to a new supplier, which is what you did, the PAC code is only available for 30 days.
If you want to change it back, youve got to do it within those 30 days, or you'll have to get a new PAC number.
You cant transfer over a number without the network provider, deactivating the sim first.

To get all this rolling again, i think you'd need to get another contract sorted first.

Obsoletafone will probably tell you about this 230 days thing, but i dont think that is right and cant see how it even is.
Vodafone and o2 do it one way. The rest do it another way.

Good luck on that bud 🙂

I did mean 30 days not 230!

I’ve just tried their virtual assistant and followed the instructions to restart my phone )not just turn it off and on) and it actually seems to have fixed the problem!

let’s see if it continues to be OK.

Thanks for your help.

Haha thats funny sorry old chap.  230 days, what was i thinking? Hehe

Yes, see how it goes but keep your eyes on the evenings performance from 5pm onwards.
Good luck for now 🙂

Thanks, I’ll see how it goes.

as for 230 days, we’ll, that is what I typed. I really should read what I put before posting, my typing is not brilliant and I make far more mistakes than I should!

Thanks again.

Anytime 🙂

I write out what i want on a text document first. If its a big message like.
Once ready copy and paste, bang !

Just to let you know, it is fine this evening. The problems I was having are no more.

I’ll see how it goes, but so far, so good.

Same here !
Managed to download almost 10gb of games now.  2 hrs max 🙂