Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I can't get SMS any more

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have data only SIM pay as you go and ZTE MF 823 4G Modem. It works very good. Until recently I could receive SMS messages.

When I log in to "My Vodafone" account I can still choose my data only SIM number as a destination for security code but messages stopped arriving.
I tried different computers and operating systems.

Is receiving messages still available for pay as you go customers?
Any help appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous! We haven't made any specific changes here, so you should still be able to receive these messages. Have you tried the Sim in a mobile at all?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jack! Thanks for your response. I never tried my SIM in mobile phone. Is it safe? What would that achieve?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tested my ZTE MF 823 4G Modem with data only SIM from another mobile network. SMS messages can be received. My modem works correctly.
It appears SMS service is not activated on Vodafone network.
How can I turn it on again?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you popped your Vodafone SIM into a phone to see if you can send a text through your phone? If you're unable to the text from a phone, pop us a message through one of our social channels and we'll be happy to check this for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mark! My Vodafone SIM doesn't receive SMS messages in a phone.

I also tested another Vodafone data only SIM and it doesn't receive SMS messages.

The problem can be related to my location.

In my personal details I added full postcode and my data only SIM phone number.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Anonymous, thank you for trying that! I have done some digging and checked with my colleagues, and I'm sorry to say that receiving SMS isn't included in our Data-only SIMs.

I will pass your comments onto the relevant department, and please keep an eye on our website for any updates regarding Data-only SIMs. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Evie, thank you for clarification that receiving SMS isn't included in data only SIMs any more but security of "My Vodafone" accounts still depends on receiving these messages.
When you create new "My Vodafone" account a message with password is sent to your data only SIM, you can't choose another number.
When you log in to your account a message with security code is sent to your data only SIM. If you don't add another phone number to your account straightaway you will not be able to log in any more.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous Ah of course, yes I see the predicament you're in! Do you only the Data Only SIM contract on your account?

Do you have a Pay as you Go or Pay Monthly number on your account? I ask this, because, if you could contact us on social media we could sent a code to one of those numbers and then see if we can get an alternative number set up on your account for the 'online account' code to be sent to you when you login

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can log in because I have an alternative phone number set up on my account but for anyone who wants to create new account a lack of SMS can be a problem.