Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K5161h HiLink to stick mode

oa
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've just purchased a Vodafone K5161h USB dongle, and don't seem to be able to switch from HiLink mode (the h in the product name) to stick mode from the web UI the dongle presents.  Unfortunately the stick acts as a router, presenting a NATed IP to the client it is plugged in to, which is causing problems when using a corporate VPN, rendering the dongle useless for practical purposes.

Has anyone had any luck in switching the dongle over to stick mode?

Cheers,

Andy

3 REPLIES 3

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@oa Hey there Andy! Just so I can be sure I'm on the same page, are you looking to use the K5161 dongle as a memory stick rather than a modem?

Is the option available in our Mobile Broadband app or do the steps in our device guide shed any light on this? You may need to select the system you're using in the grey bar of the page when using our guides.

Hi Natasha,

No, I'm not trying to use a 4G LTE dongle as a memory stick. 

The Huawei K5161h 4G LTE dongle (which Vodafone have rebranded) aparantly has two modes of operation ; HiLink Mode and Stick Mode (their terminology, not mine).  HiLink mode makes the dongle act as a router, NATs the traffic, and presents the USB dongle as a network device with a web UI.

Stick Mode simply presents the USB dongle as a modem, so the device it is plugged in to (the PC, Mac, etc.) has to deal with all of the networking (PPP session, routing, etc.).

Thanks,

Andy

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @oa. I've managed to find this for you, hopefully this will help. Please let us know how you get on 😁