Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mesh WiFi

snax
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I am seriously looking at 4g broadband via the gigacube(huawei 528). Because our farmhouse is long and narrow with several thick stone walls I also was wanting to install a mesh WiFi such as the Tp link deco m5. My question is, will a mesh WiFi setup work with this router, ie. can the huawei 528 be switched to modem mode and the base mesh be connected via the Ethernet port? By the way I am pretty much a novice when it comes to this kinda tech, so simple answers only please 🙂

6 REPLIES 6

vegtable
4: Newbie

I don't have a Gigacube so take what I say with a pinch of salt :Winking_smiley:

You have potentially a couple of options:

1) Put the Gigacube in 'Bridge' mode if it supports this - I have no idea if it does? This would turn the Gigacube into just a modem. You would then need a router connected to it. Many mesh systems can operate as a router (I think the Deco is one of these). If the Gigacube does not support bridge mode you are into a world of pain called 'double NAT' which can be problematic if you need to 'port forward'.

2) Use a mesh system just as WI-FI access and don't use its router capabilities. Not all mesh systems support this. I believe the BT disc mesh system is just WI-FI access for example. I use a cheapo Tenda mesh system that I just use for WIFI access.

If you have a very tricky property with thick stone walls you mght want to consider if you can hard wire the satellites via ethernet cable. Alternatively go for a system with a seperate backhaul radio - I don't think the m5 does have this? The Netgear Orbi mesh systems are generally considered to be the best. I went cheap because I could hard wire the satellite and my setup is working great.

3monkey
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

GIgacube does not support bridge mode, there are also NAT issues with it being restricted on Vodafone, as such I am about to send my gigacube back. I also live in a long farm house with thick walls and have BT broadband and am using their mesh ‘discs’ which works perfectly, the only reason I went for the gigacube was I only get 15Mbps with BT land line. 30Mbps with Vodafone gigacube so gutted when I found it didn’t work due to NAT!

3monkey, I got the 4g gigacube, its a Huawei 528 router. I also ordered the TP link Deco M5 mesh wifi from Amazon . All arrived next day, plugged in the router and very quickly it was up and running, logged into the router from the laptop and it was showing full bars (4g) speed test was 31 mbps download / 24 up. The wifi signal didnt go very far though because of the stone walls as i knew anyway. So plugged in the first deco unit via the ethernet and folled the setup instructions ( via the deco  app you download to your phone ) , very easy and quick.  The first unit acts as the base for the mesh wifi and was up and running no problems at all.  Connected to both wifi networks in turn and both were working great, via the deco app again went through the house and set up the other 2 deco units, which was very easy, and wifi had over the whole house with no loss in speed whatsoever,  which was amazing for us, the teenagers were smiling from ear to ear lol, anyway I then logged back into the Vodafone router with the laptop and had a look around in settings.  I  found 2 options to switch off either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi signals or both so the wifi from the gigacube was disabled leaving only the deco mesh system giving the wifi . It has worked with no issues since. 2 laptops,  4 mobiles, 1 tv, 1 xbox, all connected to the deco mesh system at the same time and at the weekend past, my daughter had 4 friends up and their mobiles all connected with no issues.  I am delighted with the 4g gigacube and find the TP- link deco M5 mesh system is brilliant and totally compatible with the Huawei 528 4g (gigacube)  router.  That's my experience so far, we are going to give it another week or so then cancel our landline broadband.  If any issues arise i will post them on here but as i said,  the setup is working great so far.  

Thanks for the information snax , I also looked at the deco units, I will see if Vodafone resolve the NAT strict issues with the gigacube and then look at a mesh starting with the deco as you have.

Out of interest have the children who game online advised what NAT type they are getting? (Strict, moderate or open)?

Haha monkey, I am afraid that question goes right over my head!! I know of NAT , Bridge mode etc. but dont know how it all works or how you alter settings etc., like when you read about giving devices fixed ip's etc. never took the time to study these things.  All i know is the feedback i get from the rest of the family is quick websites and no buffering on YouTube,  Netflix etc. Sorry i cant answer your question or if is easy let me know how to do what you asked. Cheers. 

hanks for taking the time to reply, apparently (says a Vodafone forum moderator) vodafone do not offer an OPEN NAT type, full stop. 

Maybe your family play different games and have not been affected. :Sad_face: