Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile wifi hub vs iPhone hotspot

timika
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Does anyone know if there would be a significant speed increase using the Mobile wifi hub R219 vs an iPhone 12 to hotspot my computer of iPad? Assuming the same plan for both: Unlimited Max. 

Also, does anyone have figures on what that speed tends to be for the Mobile wifi hub on the Unlimited Max plan? I know it will be different in different areas (I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland), but just wondering what others' experience has been with that device and plan.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @timika - The speeds you would receive on any device would be dependent on the speeds available in your area and if your plan has any capped speeds. Since you're on the Unlimited Max plan your speeds won't be capped and you'll get the best speeds available in your area.

After searching 'Aberdeen' in our network status checker I can see that there is maintenance on a mast in that area. I would advise checking your postcode to see if that work would be effecting you 😊

Hey Evie, 

Thanks for the reply. I understand that speeds will differ depending on where I am, and that the Unlimited Max plan will use the fastest speeds available. 

I’m more asking about the resulting wifi in my home. If I had a dedicated mobile hub, like the R219 and an iPhone 12 both on separate Unlimited Max plan and had my laptop next to them on wifi, would I get faster speeds connected via wifi to the R219 vs the iPhone hotspot? 

I would hope so as the mobile hub has only one job: to take a mobile signal and turn it into wifi whereas the hotspot in the phone is just one additional feature. 

if there is no difference in speed, would there be a difference in coverage within the home? Would the wifi from the mobile hub cover more of the home? Or drop off less significantly based on distance compared to the phone hotspot?

Basically I’m wondering if it’s worth it to get the mobile hub as a primary home wifi system? Or should I just get unlimited max on a phone and use that as the primary wifi in the house when we’re home? My wife and I are only here for a couple of years and may be moving around a bit so don’t want to set up a hardwire broadband connection. 

Hope that clarifies what I’m asking about.

thanks!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thank you for clarifying @timika 👍 I would suggest that the speeds coming from the MiFi device would be better due to that being it's primary function, and also would likely cover more area of your house and the amount of devices allowed to be connected.

However, since they are both running off of the network and not WiFi I would always take into consideration the network status checker (link in previous message) and if there is any work or maintenance in your area that would effect your speeds.

Been here.

The unlimited phone seemed a good idea, but not good enough for home WiFi, and doesn't work everywhere.  I used the MiFi initially, but found it didn't work in all the parts of the house, plus it needed re-starting all the time.  Upgraded to Gigacube (which is moveable) but it was constrained to 300GB / month (not enough).  However, we got through the first 30 days and now ready to change to an unlimited SIM-only plan.  It's still better than land-line, but you may still need extenders or mesh.