Solution

Very slow speeds

broomiegal
3: Seeker

I pay £35.69 a month unlimited for this:

3.87Mbps download

0.10Mbps upload

Basically, I'm paying for something that's unusable as far as internet goes, what's going on?

My partner is with another provider and is on;

217Mbps download

44.9Mbps upload 

6 REPLIES 6

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @broomiegal I'm sorry to hear you're having a little difficulty connecting to our network. We'll be more than happy to look into what's causing this for you. So we can rule out some common factors, please check out the trouble shooting guide in our initial checks. If they don't help, please complete and post the template included and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this for you.

broomiegal

@Mark Post Title: KT20

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?
Happens in all locations

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.
Link broken, but irrelevant as it happens everywhere.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?
Yes, just tried it in an XR - have screenshot if required - 2.02Mbps download 0.04Mbps upload

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?
No errors, just ridiculously slow internet speeds

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?
3G and 4G

6) When did you first notice this issue?
Has always been this way, someone recently pointed out that this is wrong.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for that @broomiegal. I've checked the postcode provided, and we've no issues in your area at this time. The mast serving you (31440), is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages. If this is happening in all locations, it can indicate the issue is connected to your phone or SIM, as these are the common factors in all your connections. As you've mentioned this is the same in multiple devices, it sound like your SIM is becoming worn and will need updating. 
The quickest way to get a new SIM is by popping into your local Vodafone store, where our team will be able to provide you with a SIM and activate it against your number. I can see we have a number of stores close to the KT20 postcode, but if this isn't convenient, pop us a message via our Social Media Channels, and we'll be more than happy to get one in the post to you.

@Mark Thank you, I'll pop into one of the stores and get a new SIM. 

There's nothing wrong with the phone, as I said, tried in another phone and had the same issues.

What speeds should I be expecting on the unlimited plan?  I've heard that Vodafone are restricting speeds on this plan, I hope this is not the case.

It would depend on which Unlimited plan that you have @broomiegal: Unlimited Lite, Unlimited, or Unlimited Max. Unlimited Lite has a max speed of 2Mbps. Unlimited has a max speed of 10Mbps. Unlimited Max will give you the max speed available in the area. 

If you're not on a speed restricted Unlimited plan, you can view your predicted coverage and speed expectations by heading over to our Network Status Checker online - simply enter your postcode and select the 'Data speed info' button. located on the left hand-side of your screen. 

If you're unsure which Unlimited plan that you're on, you can find out by logging into your My Vodafone account. 

Hi, I read this with interest as I have similar issues with slow connection speeds. I was amazed to see you say this can be due to a "worn SIM". In an earlier, very helpful, conversation with Moderator Jason this wasn't mentioned. If you could confirm that this is indeed a potential cause of slow speed connections, I'll hot-foot it to the nearest Vodafone store...