Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone SIM Not Working in a Huawei E586

petermjames
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've just bought an unlocked Huawei E586 MiFi modem from 3.  It works fine with a 3 PAYG SIM.

I've tried using the SIM from my Vodafone 3G USB Modem and it doesn't work.

The E586 display shows Voda UK and the device configuration page shows that the SIM is valid.

However, when I connect a PC or an iPhone to the modem (either by WiFi or by USB) I cannot get on to the Internet.  The MiFi modem display just toggles between 'Connecting' and 'Disconnected' whenever something is connected to it (when I disconnect the display goes back to showing Voda UK).

Has anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks...Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you very much for that.

It seems that, although unlocked, it is necessary to create a new profile in the E586 for some networks.

I have Googled E586 APN and found some useful information on how to set the APN (the E585 is similar)...

http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/How-To/change-huawei-e585-access-point-name-apn-settings.html

And a list of APN settings for different operators...

UK - http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Settings/access-point-name-apn-settings-for-uk-mobile-network-provi...

International - http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Settings/international-apn-settings-for-mobile-broadband-operators....

I hope this helps anybody else.

All the best....Peter

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

_365_
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
The modem needs to be configured with the vodafone APN...is it pay monthly or payg vodafone sim?

What is the Vodafone APN?

It is a pay monthly SIM which is currently in a USB modem.

Many thanks...Peter

If it'pay monthly, the following settings need entering: APN: internet Username: web Password: web

Thank you very much for that.

It seems that, although unlocked, it is necessary to create a new profile in the E586 for some networks.

I have Googled E586 APN and found some useful information on how to set the APN (the E585 is similar)...

http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/How-To/change-huawei-e585-access-point-name-apn-settings.html

And a list of APN settings for different operators...

UK - http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Settings/access-point-name-apn-settings-for-uk-mobile-network-provi...

International - http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Settings/international-apn-settings-for-mobile-broadband-operators....

I hope this helps anybody else.

All the best....Peter

Hi,

I had the same problem, followed the suggestions on here and got the MiFI working, but only on 3g or HSPA, it does not work at all on 2G even with a full signal. The device seems to get an IP address from vodafone, data is trasnfered but web pages just refuse to load on my laptop or ipad. As soon as i move into a 3g/hspa area it works fine. Please help as it's really annoying me.....

Excellent - I'll give it a go - just tried vodaphone Sim with 2 of these and had exactly your problem.  If you have exact setup entries you found worked that would be very useful!

Many thanks

Dave

Koeltringer
1: Seeker

Now my modem is working: The problem was the correct APN: change in the settings of the modem (advanced settings) the APN to ac.vodafone.es !!!!

Good to hear it's working.

The APN is the Access Point Name. Access to an APN is provisioned on your account held within the mobile network. The APN itself is kind of like a data gateway that gives you a connection out on to the internet. I'm paraphrasing here for for the sake of this explanation.

The settings in the device have to correspond to what's provisioned on yoru account. The settings dictate what the device will TRY and connect to, and the APN provisioned on your account in the mobile network dictates what you CAN connect to.

So when a device tries to connect it looks at it's settings, and requests that the mobile network let it connect to the APN specified in them. If the APN specified in the settings isn't enabled on your account, or the APN is misspelt, or your reading a Vodafone UK forum and using UK APNs but are actually a subscriber from a different network, then the request to conenct will be refused.

When using a Mobile WiFi device connection refusal is usually signified by the signal bars on the display of the device being slightly greyer or" Zig Zaggy" compared to the other text on the device dispay. When using Vodafone Mobile Broadband connection refusals fo this nature can manifest themselves as RAS errors 619, 635 and 770. If you're experiencing any of the symptoms described above the first thing to do would be to check/ammend yoru settings.

The Vodafone UK APN settings are as follows:

internet (if you are a contract/pay monthly customer)

smart (if you're a pay as you go customer on a £5 for 250MB lasting up to 30days plan)

pp.internet (if you're a pay as you go customer on a £15 for 1GB, lasting up to 90 days plan)

ppbundle.internet (if you're a pay as you go customer on a £15 for 2GB lasting up to 30 days plan)

I'm afraid I'm not aware of the APN settings isf you're a subscriber from any other network.

The only way to confirm which APN settings you shoudl be using is to call customer services. They should be able to look up your user account on the HLR (where the provisioning is held). So if you're a Vodafone UK subscriber and have tried the settings above, or are a subscriber from any other network then a call to custoemr services woudl clarify the APN you shoudl be using. Whilst there are resources that give information about what APNs different networks use they might not be up to date or take into account the reselling of mobile services such as Lebara or Tesco mobile which may use different APNs.

In addition, if you're roaming (in a different country from the mobile network operatoryou subscribe to) you don't need to change any settings, but you do need to have roaming (or potentially data roaming) enabled. When using Vodafone UK I think this can be managed via My Account, but again, apart from thsi the only definitive clarification requires a call to custoemr services.

I hope this helps.

Hello, I am having similar problems getting the Huawei_E586 Mobile_Hotspot to work with a 30 day 10 GBP Sim card.  I found the following advice on-line;-

How to change the APN setting on your Portable WiFi Mobile Hotspot

Huawei E586

Steps required to manually configure the APN settings

1. Connect the E586 to your PC either by the USB cable or WiFi

2. Open a web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1

3. Login using the username 'Admin' and enter admin password (By default the password is 'Admin')

4. Click Log In

5. Click Settings > Profile Management

6. Untick 'Auto APN:'

7. Select New Profile

8. ‘Profile Name’ – Anything you want (e.g. Vodafone Profile)

9. ‘Connection Number’- *99#

10. ‘UserName’ – Your network operator’s username

11. ‘Password’ - Your network operator’s password

12. ‘Authentication’ - PAP

13. APN - Select Static and enter Your network operator’s APN

14. IP Address - Dynamic

15. Click Save

16. Select Mobile Connection

17. From the 'Profile Name:' dropdown box select the profile you want to use

18. Click Apply

19. Click OK to confirm selection 

How do I complete numbers 10,11 and 13?