Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3G redundancy and move to 4G calling?

apdw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

If I enable 4G calling, will I have to leave data enable on my phone at all times,and will 4G calling data come off my data allowance?

I shoudkl add that 4G connectivity is very patchy in my home location.

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Calls over VoLTE (4G calling) will come out of your calling allowance @apdw There is further information here: Getting Started with 4G calling Also further information here: 4G calling 

You will also need a reasonable 4G signal at the location and need your mobile data turned on the coverage checker will provide the speed you can expect to achieve at each location here: Network Status Checker 

The benefit of VoLTE is you can be on a data call at home and if 4G calling is available continue the call on 4G.

Hi, 

thanks for your reply.

I have checked the Network Status Checker and like those from all other providers, it's pure fantasy. The best 4G signal I get at my home is 1 bar and only then in certain parts of my house, despite the Network Checkers Assurance of four bars inside!

Frankly, the idea of having  data on at all times doesnt fill me with joy, as it seems that most data is background downloads of noise I'm frankly not interested in (I have data off virtually all of the time) - in the end I have a phone to be, well , a phone. no Facebook etc!  I only need a mobile at home for the SMS messages for the dual factor authentication messages that virtually all financial and some otherweb-sites now demand, and I moved to VF as EE/BT couldn't even manage 2G connectivity.

If I want to hit the internet I use my pc or my tablet over my wi-fi. My current phone isn't capable of Wi-Fi calling and tbh I'm not minded to spend £500 upwards on phone capability and extra on monthly data allowances  I don't need and won't use. 

This looks like an opportunity for customers to spend more on data. Not for me though!

cheers and thanks

Alan