Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data issues - Glasgow & Edinburgh

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

Unsure if this is a network issue, hardware issue or software issue. I have been having an absolute nightmare with the Vodafone data network for the last week or so. Seems to have happened after an update to iOS17 but that could be purely coincidental. Quite important I get this issue sorted as my business critically relies on the mobile data network. 

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Various locations including entire cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

multiple locations 

Glasgow

Edinburgh

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

cannot replicate due to other devices being network locked.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Signal frequently drops down to an edge connection with no data throughput. This seemed to happen in specific areas and would resume to normal 4G after driving down the road a bit, switching to airplane mode for a few seconds then back on…

However, on Monday night my connection dropped to edge in Glasgow City Centre and would not resort to 4G/5G until I was 10 miles away 40 mins later. 

Today 28/9/23 I was in Edinburgh and despite having good 4G and 5G signals phone was getting no data for most areas in the city or very slow data (just enough to send whatsapp texts and use navigation) at certain points. This happened all the way from the edge of the city on the west right into the centre of Edinburgh inclusive. 

When I got back through to Glasgow I was having patchy service at points despite having been fine earlier in the afternoon.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

all

6) When did you first notice this issue?

24/9/23

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

intermittent - random times, no pattern. 

4 REPLIES 4

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

Additional info: as of this evening I have been in several areas in and around Glasgow.  Data has stopped working including at home address. Signal is ok. Data connection will be completely dead, then spring into life for a minute or 2 then drop again. 

Trying to run low data applications like apps or text messages won’t work, then suddenly just enough data gets through to send a message or search a destination. Then it will crash again. 

Home address: data ok early afternoon 28/9 then stopped working post 8pm. 

Hey @Jambo1872 I hope you're doing well. Thanks for filling in the Network Template. Without an exact postcode I can only give you general advice and information. With Edinburgh and Glasgow being such large cities with high levels of network traffic, slower speeds and connection issue are more likely to occur. You can check the expected coverage and data speed estimates here. This checker will also show you if there are any known issues, outages or maintenance works ongoing at the moment. 

Hi Steph, thanks for getting back to me. 

I maybe didn’t explain it well enough but the fault behaviours experienced were definitely not consistent with network congestion. Had it been then the Vodafone network would be rendered completely useless over 2 massive metropolitan areas. 

it turned out to be a sim card issue. Transferring my old nano sim into an esim overnight seems to have resolved any issues. 

Thanks @Jambo1872 I appreciate you coming back to me to let me know. I'm glad that the issue is resolved now!