Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excruciatingly Slow Internet - Manchester M16

Em54
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
-- Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? I have not noticed this issue happening in multiple locations. -- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Issue happens with both my iPhone 12, and mobile broadband (which is on a separate router), which are both on Vodafone. -- What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? No errors, but extremely slow internet. Speed tests show >15mbps while it happens but yet fail to load a YouTube video at 240p. Latency is extremely variable - can be low as 30ms but can go as high as 500ms, meaning it is unusable for VOIP etc. -- Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all? Router is 4G so cannot test router. I'm out of the coverage area of 5G but can receive a 5G signal by stepping outside and there is no difference between 4G or 5G. They both are problematic. Coverage map shows good coverage for 4G and I am in an urban location so there is plenty of coverage - usually around 3 bars. -- When did you first notice this issue? Issue has been going on for months, and progressively getting worse. -- Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs? Issue is extremely intermittent and varies from hour to hour, but more pronounced towards the evenings. There can be times where I can watch a 720p video, and other times I can't even load 144p and websites take several minutes to load. Sometimes it's so bad that I just give up on using the internet. Understandably, there may be issues of cell congestion etc, but especially for broadband this speed isn't acceptable. It is so slow to the point where I can't even load a single website at times. It is happening right now - this message box has taken about a minute to appear!
1 REPLY 1

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Em54 - thanks for completing the template and explaining what's happening. I understand how important it is to have the best possible connection. 

I've found your postcode from your profile here and I've gone through some checks. Your local serving site number 79849 is showing as performing as expected without any faults. 

Please enter your postcode onto our Network Status Checker. Down the left-hand side, you’ll see the option to select 4G and 5G. Please then click the ‘Data speed info’ option. This shows the expected speeds for your area.

The speeds can depend on how many devices you’re sharing the connection with at one time.

If you zoom out on the coverage map by selecting the '-' symbol in the top right, you’ll notice it's showing we're aware of some work taking place on nearby masts. This shows by the '!' symbols. This work may be having an impact on your coverage, with more users possibly be connecting to your site.

When you select the ‘!’ symbols, you'll be given the option to enter your number. We can then send you alerts with any updates.

Once the works completed if you’re still facing issues, please get back in touch here and we can take another look.