Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Oxford OX2 - Network Data

colinstone
4: Newbie

What on earth are Vodafone up to in Oxford??  I returned to UK on Saturday after a few months away in France. Immediately got a UK connection in Folkestone. Got to Oxford and nothing. 

And it has been like that ever since. Every now and again a few minutes and perhaps an hour of data, and then long, long periods with zilch. 4G signal strength seems reasonable at - 105 dBm but no 0s and 1s on it.  When I do get a connect, download speeds at 100mb/s are possible which is great.

Tina in Oxford VF has been helpful and replaced SIM cards which improved matters 23 Oct, but today between 0645 and 0945 virtually nothing. Luckily I use BlackBerry Hub etc and the Inbox app does manage to quickly download emails when there are a few mb of data. 

Vf call centre, Egypt!, tell me that this has been going on since August due to 3G removal and roll out of 5G.  Lots of apologies and sorry about the inconvenience, I bet they are not, but nothing concrete. It is so useless that Vf send me a text with a website link - which is useless without data.  Vf also tell me that the engineers are very busy with lots of projects and upgrades - and like many others probably faffing on social media stead of out screwdrivers and tools.  Apparently this is going to continue for another 17 days. We'll see?? 

Seems that Vf have overstretched themselves and are trying to do too much too quickly. Information from Vf Newbury management is non existent. I would have expected that with this level of disruption, the affected post codes would receive a weekly newsletter with a detailed explanation of exactly what is happening and why. Network Rail put them to shame - here in Oxford there is major works going on and we get a weekly email.

So, come on Vodafone Newbury Hq get a grip and give out some proper information rather than useless platitudes.

And just hire me a Starlink system while the slow work continues. 

PS  I don't have wire broadband - the Vf engineer couldn't find the telephone cable 3 years ago, so just use mobile signals.

And in France, they are doing the same upgrades and perfect 4G, even in the sticks, throughout.  With HS2, really makes me wonder about the state of UK infrastructure. 

3 REPLIES 3

Robyn

Hey @colinstone I know how frustrating signal and connection issues can be. If you pop your postcode into the Network Status Checker you'll be able to see if there are any issues, outages or maintenance works in an area that could be impacting your service. If there is a known issue in the area you can sign up for updates by clicking on the alert flag. If maintenance works are ongoing and we have an expected date on when the issues will be resolved, then more details will be provided within the alerts flag.

You can also see the expected speeds you can achieve in any postcode. If you are falling below the minimum expected speeds, or your signal is worse than the checker suggests and there are no issues in the area, please come and get in touch with the Social Media team so that we can investigate this further.

Many thanks. I've been checking all that ad infinitum and worn out the My Vodafone icon. 

Robyn

I completely understand how frustrating this must be @colinstone the Social Media team will be able to check for updates if you drop them a message.